Torque converter for 340

-

dancinwulf

Reaction score
Have a 71 340 with 727 going into my 70 Duster not going to race it but want it to have some
good get up and go off the line what is the best torque converter and stall speed has 323 rear.

You need to call PTC, Ultimate or some other converter shop and let them pick it. Converter technology has come so far that what used to be considered unstreetable acts like a stocker today.

And they will also want to know A LOT MORE INFO on the engine like Compression ratio, horsepower, & torque, did you Dyno the engine, tire size, exhaust, intake and carb. And exacting cam specs!
Believe it or not all of these things add up.

My guys are down the block from me. Check them out for an idea or use them.
ProTorque High Performance Drag Racing Torque Converters

A good converter is going to cost some $$$. I paid $700 + for a good street some strip converter for a 408 motor. What ever you do, go with a company with a very good reputation and follow their advice to the letter. If they say you need xyz, they have the experience. I recommend Lennys Ultimate converters. I run one behind my 8 second, transbrake equipped, 3,000 lb Dart with 800 ft lbs of torque trying to hurt it. Works great, and Lenny has been very reasonable on service work, like the second stall change I asked for once I got a data logger and knew what I needed.

spend the money on a good one. have one built for your combo.... the converter can make or break your combo..

call:
Dynamic Converters // Pro-Formance Transmissions or Ultimate Converter Concepts - Custom Torque Converters

be 100% honest with all the answers to the questions they ask. yes it matters that much.. know as much about your combo and intended use as ya can before calling...

i ended up going with a 9.5" from dynamic for our dart.. its just a mild 360 with 3.23 gears (well if i ever get to swapping out the 2.94'd..lol). it wasn't cheap but man does a good converter make a difference...

always cracks me up to see someone spend 10k on a motor, 1k on a trans and then they go and put a cheap *** converter in.. makes no sense..

I would call PTC. Kenny Ford the owner is a Mopar racer.
They get it right the first time almost always.
Big key is being 100% accurate about what you tell them, that makes it easy for them to get it right.
Just got one for a 904 for my 360 powered Dart. Its exactly where i wanted it....... now to get to the track.....

-
Back