Torque converter for 340

-

dancinwulf

Reaction score
What is the best range of TC for a stock 1971 340 to go with a 727 2200-2500? Or should it
be higher?

What is the best range of TC for a stock 1971 340 to go with a 727 2200-2500? Or should it
be higher?
Call any of the good converter companies. I run a tight Turbo Action 10" S800 and it works great on my street/strip 340. The money I spent on a converter was the best bang for the buck for performance gained.

I found this info here a while back

stock convertor stall speed.jpg

I tell you what, it really depends on a bunch of stuff; like;
application,application,and mostly,application,
But also on application,and application,
If you fail to take into account the application,
Then in your application,any application may not be a good fit.
Also if your engine is tired or worn out or just never made much low-rpm torque, then any guess is just a guess.
Plus if you have 3.91s or some other HO rear gear, you can get away with less TC..... or vice versa;
if you have hiway gears, the tired 340 might want a lil more TC.
But if your 340 is an animal at low rpm then the TC will depend on other factors, mostly like.....application,and application.
Without an application forthcoming, Poster #2 nailed and, and poster #3 cleared up the stock application, which, with a stock, not-tired 340, is also bang-on;
and I offer the range of 2400 to 3800, depending on application, which will be correct for certain applications.
PS, I like a 2800 minimum; with 3.23s as a minimum, if you do much/significant hiway traveling;
or 3.55s as a combination machine,
or 3.73s if you like to show off a lil.
For a city-car, and a lil more and better tire frying ability try 3.91s with a 3000.
But if you're looking for fuel-economy, swap out the 340cam for a teener-type cam, install a 2bbl, and 2.73s and then the factory 2250TC will be pretty sweet, for this application.
I don't know about the racing applications, but I have heard that hi-reving 340s can like 4.30s or 4.56s depending on the camming. Of course then in this application the 340 might like a 3800 to 4500, or some other TC depending on what rear is being run and the trap-speed; it is very application-specific.

Last edited:
Call any of the good converter companies. I run a tight Turbo Action 10" S800 and it works great on my street/strip 340. The money I spent on a converter was the best bang for the buck for performance gained.

I'm curious, where does your S800T flash? I have a S800M..

I tell you what, it really depends on a bunch of stuff; like'
application,application,and mostly,application,
But also on application,and application,
If you fail to take into account,application,application,
Then in your application, application, may not be a good fit.
Also if your engine is tired or worn out or just never made much low-rpm torque, then any guess is a guess.
Plus if yo have 3.91s or some other HO rear gear, you can get away with less TC..... or vice versa' if
you have hiway gears, the tired 340 might want a lil more TC.
But if your 340 is an animal at low rpm then the TC will depend on other factors, mostly like.....application,and application.

Thanks for that AJ. you just brightened my day lol

Here's my two bits. The Duster I bought new was a 340/727 with a 3:55 Sure Grip. It served as a grocery getter, holiday wheels, back and forth to work ride, the occasional jaunt down the legal or non legal 1/4 mile track and anything else I wanted/needed from it. It did all these tasks without a hitch.
Now in your case, you don't say what your overall use of the car will be. AJ has made many suggestions and he's right. Determine what you're going to be doing with the car and go from there. There are many good converter builders out there, and if you give them ALL the right information, they can spec. out what converter will work best for you. Don't let price be your only guide though. After almost 30 years in the trade, when it comes to converters, typically you get what you paid for.
Avoid used converters as you don't know what you're getting, it may be a gem, or more than likely a time bomb waiting to let you down at the wrong time.

I'm curious, where does your S800T flash? I have a S800M..
suppose to be 3200. My tach is not accurate and I use an MSD shift light with a 6k pill at the track. Drives like grandma's car on the street until you nail it.

-
Back