Torque Converter Install

-

srg610

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
Have'nt visited for awhile, but I'm back to work on the Duster.
I have a stock replacement torque converter from Year One for the 904, and I'm trying to get it to slide onto the tranny input shaft so I can drop the motor in. I marked the locations of the tranny pump rotor lugs on the oil seal, and I know I am close, but the converter still will not slide all the way on. It's still about a half inch to the outside when placing a straightedge across. I messed with it for a couple of hours, trying to spin it a little, and then trying to rotate the input shaft with the rear tires, and nothing seems to be working.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance,
Scott

should pop right in there, don't try to spin the trans onto the converter. Hold the converter up to the trans and spin it onto the trans. Try to spin it back and forth about a whole rotation. It's very simple to get in there. Shouldn't take but a minute

Moparseguru,
I went out and fought with it a little more...tried your suggestion...still does not seem to be bottoming out. Is there any reason why the torque converter lugs would still be outside the bellhousing of the trans, when they are supposed to be a half inch inside?
Thanks

Do you have still have the old converter? If so take the new one and old one and lay them side by side and compare them to make sure they are the same. I have never had any problem getting a converter on so this is a new one to me too. Like I said, I usually just hold it up there and turn the converter clockwise till hit goes in, then counterclockwise, then clockwise again. Be carfefull too. Pulling that thing in and out will damage the seal. then when you do get it in and the seal is bad, you will be pulling it all back apart.

Are you sure you did'nt get a small spline converter by mistake.(changed spline diameter on 904 during 66 model year) I think the 3001 model is year ones small spline & 3002 would be what you should have. The proper converter should go right on & be recessed.You might also have some burrs on the spline preventing it from sliding on properly . Just some thoughts & good luck.

Oldschoolcuda

you need to line up the 2 slots on the converter snout to the lugs in the trans--look in there behind the seal and you will see them. I bet thats what is holding it back

Look at your old converter and make sure it doesn't say lock up on it. I did the same thing and the problem was mine is a 76 tranny with a lock up converter and the splines or something are different.

Thanks Greendart,
You nailed it...the old converter has a little sticker on it that says LS Lock Up...and the trans was from a 1977 Cordoba.
So...what do I do now?

It can be converted (I checked into it and it's a little pricey), but what I'm doing is I bought a 72 904 and am going to overhaul it.
Then I can use the stall speed converter that a bought 2 years ago before I found out my tranny was the lock up type.

Hey Guys,
Just wanted to thank you again for all your input.
I found a 904 out of a 73 Scamp at a local wrecking yard, and the new torque converter slipped right on with the required clearance. It was the difference in the input shafts, and the fact that the 1977 904 was a lock up trans. Already have the snout painted, and gonna put it in tomorrow with the motor.
Have a good one, TTYL,
Scott

-
Back