Torque Converter or Bad Trans

-

EvanS

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 68 Valiant slant 6 with a904 and when i shift it into gear i have to give it a lot of gas for it to actually engage the gears and move. I think its a bad torque converter, but was hoping the amazing knowledge from this group would help me either confirm or know how to better figure out what is going on with it. Thanks for your help in advance.

Hi, I have a 68 Valiant slant 6 with a904 and when i shift it into gear i have to give it a lot of gas for it to actually engage the gears and move. I think its a bad torque converter, but was hoping the amazing knowledge from this group would help me either confirm or know how to better figure out what is going on with it. Thanks for your help in advance.

Usually if it acts the same all the time it's the converter, and if it's worse in the morning and acts right after it warms up it's the trans.

How hard is it to replace the torque converter and any ideas on an inexpensive stock replacement?

If it acts the same all the time it's the converter, and if it's worse in the morning and acts right after it warms up it's the trans.
There aren't any issues with leaks. Will this still help?

It softens hardened up rubber seals as well as the rubber lip seals in the trans so they seal better again instead of only with enough throttle pressure and after they get warm enough to seal inside the drums.
This may very well be a good way to diagnose your problem.
If it starts engaging better after the additive, then you know it's the trans and not the converter.

I'll let you research how hard of a job it is and where to get a converter.
I can do a basic converter swap in about 1.5 hours with basic hand tools and ramps and about 40 or so minutes on a lift with air tools.
It takes some people two days.:D

It softens hardened up rubber seals as well as the rubber lip seals in the trans so they seal better again instead of only with enough throttle pressure and after they get warm enough to seal inside the drums.
This may very well be a good way to diagnose your problem.
If it starts engaging better after the additive, then you know it's the trans and not the converter.

I'll let you research how hard of a job it is and where to get a converter.
I can do a basic converter swap in about 1.5 hours with basic hand tools and ramps and about 40 or so minutes on a lift with air tools.
It takes some people two days.:D

Thank you so much!!

Also ATP AT-205 is an excellent transmission additive, will bring a sluggish transmission back to life.
I did have a torn piston seal one time, no additive will cure that.i think way back,i had to back off so third would engage.

Knowing if it acts different from cold to hot, or just once in the morning will be helpful. Fluid/filter change or is fluid low? A few things to consider.

Products that soften seals are at best a temporary fix. They do not in any way cure any real transmission problems. Shady used car dealers will often just use brake fluid to stop leaks in engine-transmission-diffs. Brake fluid will swell rubber seals as well the products previously mentioned. As Trailbeast said it is a way to diagnose the issues you are having.
You might want to check the color of the oil, is it nice and pink or is it black with a pungent odor? Black and stinky oil, needs a rebuild.

More details, when does it do this? all the time or just at first engage? would help.
Torque converters can leak down while sitting extended periods. Mine does. I first shift to neutral which runs the front pump and fills the converter, then at engage forward or reverse, it moves, drives fine.
Band adjust isn't so difficult. One adjuster is outside the case. The other adjuster is inside so "filter service with band adjust" is more accurate. That service with or without a bottle of additive could buy some time, even with a well aged/worn trans.
The ATP AT-205 is not transmission specific. Add it to any oil to stop leaks. It is watery like brake fluid. Label states 1 bottle per 6 quarts so 2 bottles in a torqueflght. If I was going to try a additive, CRC or Lucas.

-
Back