Torque converter question

-

REVIVER

Reaction score
1973 Duster, slant six, 904 trans.
I pulled the motor to regasket and change some worn components, timing chain, water pump ect. When I disconnected the torque converter there was already a white dot on the flex plate and conveter to mark arrangement. Problem is when I painted the motor the flex plate got painted and covered all evidence of the white dot. After install and tune I have a small harmonic vibration in park. Increases and decreases with RPM. I think its the converter not arranged correctly. Question; Is there a simple way to identify which holes the converter should be bolted to balance or is this going to be a trial and error, one bolt hole at a time, nightmare?

Thanks
Reviver

1973 Duster, slant six, 904 trans.
I pulled the motor to regasket and change some worn components, timing chain, water pump ect. When I disconnected the torque converter there was already a white dot on the flex plate and conveter to mark arrangement. Problem is when I painted the motor the flex plate got painted and covered all evidence of the white dot. After install and tune I have a small harmonic vibration in park. Increases and decreases with RPM. I think its the converter not arranged correctly. Question; Is there a simple way to identify which holes the converter should be bolted to balance or is this going to be a trial and error, one bolt hole at a time, nightmare?

Thanks
Reviver
Do you think there might be enough white paint under the new paint so that if you sraped the new paint, the old color will show through? If the new paint isn't very old, you might get lucky and find the old paint dot. If the new paint is fresh enough, you might be able to find the old paint by rubbing the new with a cloth soaked in laquer thinner. Bill

don't know about a 6 with 904 but on my 273 and 360 I could only put it on one way due to the way the holes are drilled in the flex plate.

When I realised I painted over the white dot I checked the manual and it says, under removal, to make sure to mark the flex plate and converter and that it is very impotant to do so. The white dot was very faint but I could see it when I removed it. I suppose I could try to sand litely and see if it reveals itself. Not a bad idea.

In most cases where balance is an issue the bolts will line up only one way. Otherwise there will be factory stamped markings although those are difficult to see under a lot of paint. I'm guessing the white paint marks came from a previous mechanics hand.
Double check accesory belt tension, fan, other places the vibration could come from.

The bolt pattern in the flex plate is asymetrical. It will only bolt onto the converter one way.

I thought they would only line up one way but not seeing the dot and having a vibration had me second guessing.

Thanks for the replies

Reviver

-
Back