torque converter

-

americanmuscle

americanmuscle
Reaction score
I've got a 318 with a 904 trans that didn't come with a torque converter. a guy at my shop who orders all the stuff talked to a transmission guy who gets all that stuff and delivers it to the shop. he's having a bit of dificulty finding one. he thinks it'd be easier to buy an after market product. a few years in the future I'll put 360 heads on it and a high lift cam to get somemore power out of it. so my question is what kind of stall would make this thing a good driver now, yet fast later, without buying a new torque converter. when I say fast, I mean something that would tranfer power the best.

It would probably be easier to start off with a 727. A stock 340 torque converter has a mild stall speed. The reason I say 727 is because you said you were increasing power. Only prob with 727 is you will have to resize drive shaft and change front yoke...but worth it.

is a stick driveshaft the same length as a 727 driveline?
Yes, It is. It should have the big yoke as well.

You realize that you'll give up about 30 to 35 horsepower in residual losses with the 727 compared to the 904. I've run a 727 behind a 360 for the past 15 years, but this time around, I'm going back to the 904. Free horses. :)

What's the length of that 4 speed drive shaft? I'm about ready to change my Dart to a 4 speed/ 8 1/4 from a 904/ 7 1/4. Did that shaft come out of a car with an 8 3/4 or an 8 1/4 rearend? Yeah...it makes a difference. Did it come out of a Duster or a Dart?That makes a couple or so of inches difference too.Thanks

Americanmuscle, there's much more involved in choosing a torque converter than just pulling a number out of a hat for a particular engine/tranny combo. Things that need to be taken into consideration are vehicle weight, rear end gears, compression ratio, and especially, the specifications of your cam. For example, if your normal cruise RPM is 3000 RPM at highway speed, and you put in a 3800 stall speed converter, you're probably going to burn that converter up pretty quickly because it never really reaches it's potential lock up RPM, and consequently generates a lot of slippage, which generates heat, which kills converters and trannys. You need to put everything together as a package, then when you have all of the parts you think will work best together for the intended usage of your car, then call the converter manufacturers and get them to give you specs on the converter they think will work best with your patricular combo. Remember that bigger is rarely better that a well planned selection of parts that complement each other, from the engine through the converter/tranny, to the final gear ratio and tire size. Hope this helps. :)

thats the kinda answer I was looking for, and to tell you the truth, I know non of those specs. most everything is getting replaced or changed later on, so it would all change. my engine is stock for the moment, along with everything else, and I'll change it out later, so I'll go for the stock stall speed

:thumblef: Now you're thinkin' right!! :drinkers: Check the local papers, wrecking yards, put an ad here on FABO, and you'll find a 904 converter fairly quickly I'm sure. I have one I'd gladly give you but I live in Alberta, Canada, so it might be a bit of a drive to pick it up. :)

you"ll be sorry if you stick to 904 and try to put 300 horse in front of it. 727 or carry a bucket and shovel in trunk...trust me..been there.

Steve, I'll have to disagree with you on that one. :) The 904, built properly will handle a lot more than 300 HP. You don't even have to do anything special to the 904, just a good quality rebuild. There's guys that have been running 904's on the strip for years with no more problems that they would have with a 727.

I also agree, the 904 is a stout tranny for what it is and you can put more to it than 300 ponies, it also doesn't rob you of 45 horse right off the get go like a 727 does.

wow...45 hp. The next 400 horse 340 I do will have a 904...um 445 hp. Hope the small spline yoke holds together and 1st 2nd band.

-
Back