Torque Monster !

-
Spitballing;
I have heard that it is possible to engage the A518 overdrive between gears. But the .69 ratio makes it kindof mickey-mouse IMO. The A518/618 ratios are
2.45-1.45-1.00-.69 for splits of .59-.69-.69 Splitting gets;
2.45-1.69-1.45-1.00-1.00-.69od Split gears shown in red. the splits are;
.69-.86-.69-0.0-.69 See what I mean. Spitting first and second looks cool on paper, but when you drive it, IDK.... Outshifting at 4000, First to second is 4000 x .59=2360, a drop of 1640, whereas into overdrive is 4000 x.69=2760, a drop of 1240, a betterment of 400 rpm, and shifting from 1od to second is 4000 x.86=3440, a 560 rpm drop. That's cool.
Ok but now, as the going gets tougher,and you start to buck wind, yur back to outshifting second at 4000 to; 4000 x .69=2760 into Drive, OR INTO OVERDRIVE SECOND_, same ratio, and yur doing 59 mph@ zero slip, say65 at 10%. Good thing you got all that torque and only 5 more mph to pull.

But I just gotta say one thing; 400ftlbs at 2400 at WOT, is 183 horsepower. whereas 400 at 3480 (in drive) is 265 hp.
Let's say your rig requires 100 hp to cruise at 70 on flat level hard ground; I mean just for arguments sake.
How much throttle, will it take at 2400,in overdrive, to generate the 100hp, to maintain 70 mph; how far is your throttle open? I mean IDK.
And how will that compare to in Drive at 2400/.69= 3480rpm? I mean at 3480 this engine has the potential to make 45% more power at WOT, so it seems to me it will require less throttle-opening to make the 100hp. Just asking cuz I don't know.
For best fuel economy, you might want to run the primaries WOT/ near WOT, so she's up on the mainjets which you can tune, and the boosters do what they do best.
But, to do that, I'd be willing to bet a dollar, the 2400 rpm cruiser will like a different carb than the 3480rpm cruiser.

Ok but now I'll tell you this; scietifically speaking;
To generate 100 hp, requires the same amount of fuel irrespective of rpm. The formula dictates .5 pound of fuel per horsepower per hour. You can fudge this around a lil but it will be darn close.
It don't matter if you have 360 cubes or 440 cubes, or 2400 rpm or 3480; the 100 hp requires a given amount of fuel to generate. From a good design to a poor design after optimized, there's not gonna be a whole lot of variation in the fuel used to make the required 100 hp.
Likewise as to heat. 100hp is 100hp. whether you create it at 2400 or at 3480, approximately the same amount of waste heats will be generated; the difference being in the ring tension and valve springing. Those you can control. And then
there's ignition timing;
Cruise timing at 2400 will be hard to optimize. At 3480 it's easy. Ima guessing that you will lose, IMO, more cruise economy to insufficient timing than you will gain in the rpm difference, IMO. Like said earlier, IDK what your engine will want for cruise timing, but in all likelihood the most you can get with the factory type Distributor, at 2400rpm, might be 40/42* .
Will it be enough?
IDK
But Ima guessing it could be 8/10 degrees or more short.
But at 3480, you can easily supply up to 56*, and maybe a lil more, And she probably will be happy with less than 50*;yes, I am guessing.

What I am thinking is 2800.
At 2800 you might be right on the max available cruise timing of 50/52. IDK if you will need it all or if she will want it, but at least there it is. But gearing the back to get 2800@70mph, in .69 overdrive with 33" tires is not gonna happen, lol, unless you use the loc-up. My math says 5.56s will get you 3000@10% slip/ 2740 in loc-up. The question is, will 5.56s survive? and for how long?
The point is this; IDK how hard I would try to get the rpm down, in striving for fuel economy, in an application like this, which already has quite a bit of aero going for it.

Just spitballing.

Couple of questions,with this being a quench build, why would the total timing need to be 50 degrees?

Those that drive these travcos say the 440's are spinning high rpms at 65, so why would the 518 be a bad idea? I also want the rpm down so it is possible to carry on a conversation with my wife while driving. Hmm, on second thought...:)

The motor will have at least 400ft lbs from 2000 to 4000 rpm, with 500 or so at about 2500. I am basing this on the stock 413 dynoed by Chrysler making 445 at 2400. Better cam with more area under the curve but less duration, 2 point plus increase in compression, quench, headers, better intake, better carb, I don't think I am too far off.

Guys are swapping in early 5.9 cummins with a 400ft lb peak torque@ 1600rpm and 168 max hp at 2500 rpm. They are getting a claimed 11-12 mpg, while running an Allison trans that has no overdrive. Those engines the governor starts kicking in at 2500 and the engine won't turn more than about 3200.

Lots of variables and I am not under the illusion that I won't be shifting down to drive pulling steeper grades. Ideally I would still like to be in od driving into a moderate headwind at least without downshifting. Theromquad should help here with the secondary air door opening to whatever air flow is needed.

That 10k budget is tight as it is. This is me repairing all the RV systems, restoring interior, me painting the RV, tires, brakes, lines, etc. I am doing all the work, but stuff still adds up quick. Really don't want to do a gear change unless it becomes close to absolutely necessary.

I have found a modern tire profile that is a 31.9 height and one inch smaller treadwidth. Maybe a little closer to ideal.

@mbaird what rpms are you turning at 55 and 65, and what gear and tire are you running?

I am turning around 3800 @ 65 .
4.10 gears and 33" tall tires .
Couple of questions,with this being a quench build, why would the total timing need to be 50 degrees?

Those that drive these travcos say the 440's are spinning high rpms at 65, so why would the 518 be a bad idea? I also want the rpm down so it is possible to carry on a conversation with my wife while driving. Hmm, on second thought...:)

The motor will have at least 400ft lbs from 2000 to 4000 rpm, with 500 or so at about 2500. I am basing this on the stock 413 dynoed by Chrysler making 445 at 2400. Better cam with more area under the curve but less duration, 2 point plus increase in compression, quench, headers, better intake, better carb, I don't think I am too far off.

Guys are swapping in early 5.9 cummins with a 400ft lb peak torque@ 1600rpm and 168 max hp at 2500 rpm. They are getting a claimed 11-12 mpg, while running an Allison trans that has no overdrive. Those engines the governor starts kicking in at 2500 and the engine won't turn more than about 3200.

My bad ...the tires are 30.6" tall.

This is with 1:1 ratio

B6E64997-9EDC-4F05-AE0E-7093E3B027ED.png

This is with .69 OD
4B41E3B4-549E-470F-8649-0D3363C8BF5B.png

If you build a motor with 350 Ft/lbs @ 2000 rpms it should pull with the OD just fine on flat land . And it should rev to 5500 just fine.

The problem with the stock engine and gearing is you run out of RPMs by 3800 . You are on the downside of the torque curve .

I am turning around 3800 @ 65 .
4.10 gears and 33" tall tires .

Ouch. You are turning more than 1000 rpm more than the calculator I am using says. I knew the big bricks would take more to move, but did not anticipate it being that much. Thanks for the reply this helps.
My bad ...the tires are 30.6" tall.

This is with 1:1 ratio

View attachment 1715683425

This is with .69 OD View attachment 1715683426

So basically you are turning 800 rpm higher than the 1to1 calculator. Attribute 10% converter slippage, and that means about 500 rpm extra due to the brick aerodynamics and other drive train losses.

Last edited:
No ... I was working off bad memory with my first post so I researched and corrected it . But yes there would be some TC slippage .

No ... I was working off bad memory with my first post so I researched and corrected it . But yes there would be some TC slippage .

So calculator says for mine with 33 inch 70mph 4.56 and overdrive says 2242. Add 800 from your example 3042 rpm. Add lockup to mine rpm about 2742. Just about exactly what @AJ/FormS 's math came out to (2800).

My math was also 2740 in loc up with 33s. and 4.56s.
Here is the Formula;

mph= (rpm x Tc)/( R1 x R2 x1056 a constant)

Where the Rs are your gear ratios and
Tc is the Tire roll-out or; diameter x pi(3.1416)
The constant converts the numbers into mph.

Your TC slip will likely be larger than usual, in this case, because of the high torque input. IDK what it will be, but guessing 10 to 15%

Last edited:
This is NOT Total Timing. Total Timing is PowerTiming and is the sum of the Idle-Timing, plus whatever is in the mechanical at any given rpm, which usually reaches a maximum between 3400 and 3800 rpm
This is steady-state Cruise Timing. Which is the total of the above plus whatever you can coax out of the Vcan.
>But before I unpack this; you gotta know the difference between Cranking cylinder pressure, and Running Cylinder Pressure.
>Cranking Cylinder Pressure is what you read on your Compression gauge. It is created as a function of your Static Compression Ratio, your Intake Closing Angle, and the ability of the valves and rings to not leak it away.
>Running Pressure is what you get after start up, and the Hot gasses are expanding inside the chambers driving the pistons down. The amount of Pressure is directly related to the amount and density of the air coming in thru the carb, and the temperature surrounding the chamber.
IDK what your Max Running Pressure might be, I'm not that smart. If I had to guess I'd say 800 to 1100psi, depending on way too many factors for me to understand.

At WOT;
Depending on the load and Rpm, you need to start the fire quite early, to have max Running Pressure occur at the optimum point After TDC, to put the maximum push on the crank at the right point in it's rotation; that is how you achieve max power.
Squish allows you to run a lil more CRANKING Pressure on the same fuel, and that pressure makes heat which makes power. So , as it applies to getting the max out of your fuel, Pressure is the biggest deal,....... right up until you hit detonation.
With iron heads and 91gas, AND tight-Q with a short stroke, 165/170psi Cranking Pressure, might be possible at WOT.
But if your timing is retarded, optimum pressure will never be achieved as the expanding gasses chase after the descending piston.
And if the timing is over advanced, then the pressure will be too high, too early, and the crank will offer too much resistance, and so between the the heat of compression, and the too high chamber pressure, the Running Pressure might rise beyond what the fuel can sustain, and pow!, you get detonation.
So you have to limit your Max Running Pressure to whatever will NOT cause detonation at WOT, with the gas you are using.

Cruising at Part Throttle;
At this time, your Running Cylinder Pressure will be only a fraction of the Max Allowable before detonation. Therefore; you could probably run 200 or even 300psi cranking psi IDK. But you couldn't drive that engine because it will rattle the skirts right off the pistons when you pour the coals to her.
Cruising at 2400; if you are NOT at WOT, then your engine will not achieve max pressure, because it is not inhaling a max load of air, so the RUNNING Pressure is well below the detonation limit, or is supposed to be,lol.

So now, we can talk about Cruise Timing:
Since the Running Pressure will be so low, because;
1) the carb is heavily throttled, and
2) the rpm (2400) is so low, and
3) the Ica is barely trapping what it is getting... and
4) in all likelyhood you are gonna try and run this beast as cool as possible, and
5) the Scr is predicted to be just 9.5
This will require an exceptionally early ignition event, so that meager max pressure can arrive on top of the piston, at the optimum point in it's rotation.... which never changes..and is always in the neighborhood of 25 to 28 degrees ATDC. That is how you achieve max fuel economy.

When you start the fire is of NO CONSEQUENCE, the important thing is to have max pressure occur at the right time. (See note 1)

You could get better fuel economy;
with more Running Cruise Pressure, or
a bigger piston to create more downforce, or
a longer stroke, or
you could just run it hotter, or
install a cam with an earlier closing intake to trap more pressure.
And then, hitching the new engine to a lower cruise rpm.
But the question then becomes; how small an engine can you build, and still have adequate acceleration and reserve power; Power to pass, to climb, to operate at a higher altitude, or to keep up in traffic.

See note 1
When you start the fire is of NO CONSEQUENCE, the important thing is to have max pressure occur at the right time.
How can you know when you are there? That's what I wanted to know. So I got me a stand-alone, dash-mounted, dial-back, timing retard computer with a range of 15 degrees.
So then, I got my car up to my chosen cruise speed. And when it had settled in to it, I read the roadspeed, then retarded the timing 3 degrees, expecting a LOSS of efficiency and so a reduction in roadspeed. And that is what happened. So then I put the 3 degrees back in plus 3 more, expecting an increase in efficiency, and so an increase in roadspeed. And that is what happened.
And so that is how it went all summer. Then in fall, I pulled The D out and modified the Vcan to get me the timing she wanted. Then, next summer back at it I went.
Yes I was serious about fuel economy, because I intended to drive this car until I died. That was 20 years ago..... But I outlived the body, which is now succumbing to the elements. I did manage so far to accumulate about 130,000 miles on it tho, some of which cruised at up to double the mpg, of what most other guys can get out of them.
Note 2
where do you start? I started by reving it up in neutral, to my chosen cruise rpm and then just pulling in the timing, while simultaneously reducing the throttle to maintain that rpm. When the rpm no longer increased with additional timing, then I knew the engine was fighting itself. I backed up 3 degrees and that is where I started.
Trying to do this any other way is an exercise in frustration, and could take years. Especially, if, like me, you tend to run several rear gears or transmissions, even in one summer,lol.

Last edited:
This is NOT Total Timing. Total Timing is PowerTiming and is the sum of the Idle-Timing, plus whatever is in the mechanical at any given rpm, which usually reaches a maximum between 3400 and 3800 rpm
This is steady-state Cruise Timing. Which is the total of the above plus whatever you can coax out of the Vcan.
>But before I unpack this; you gotta know the difference between Cranking cylinder pressure, and Running Cylinder Pressure.
>Cranking Cylinder Pressure is what you read on your Compression gauge. It is created as a function of your Static Compression Ratio, your Intake Closing Angle, and the ability of the valves and rings to not leak it away.
>Running Pressure is what you get after start up, and the Hot gasses are expanding inside the chambers driving the pistons down. The amount of Pressure is directly related to the amount and density of the air coming in thru the carb, and the temperature surrounding the chamber.
IDK what your Max Running Pressure might be, I'm not that smart. If I had to guess I'd say 800 to 1100psi, depending on way too many factors for me to understand.

At WOT;
Depending on the load and Rpm, you need to start the fire quite early, to have max Running Pressure occur at the optimum point After TDC, to put the maximum push on the crank at the right point in it's rotation; that is how you achieve max power.
Squish allows you to run a lil more CRANKING Pressure on the same fuel, and that pressure makes heat which makes power. So , as it applies to getting the max out of your fuel, Pressure is the biggest deal,....... right up until you hit detonation.
With iron heads and 91gas, AND tight-Q with a short stroke, 165/170psi Cranking Pressure, might be possible at WOT.
But if your timing is retarded, optimum pressure will never be achieved as the expanding gasses chase after the descending piston.
And if the timing is over advanced, then the pressure will be too high, too early, and the crank will offer too much resistance, and so between the the heat of compression, and the too high chamber pressure, the Running Pressure might rise beyond what the fuel can sustain, and pow!, you get detonation.
So you have to limit your Max Running Pressure to whatever will NOT cause detonation at WOT, with the gas you are using.

Cruising at Part Throttle;
At this time, your Running Cylinder Pressure will be only a fraction of the Max Allowable before detonation. Therefore; you could probably run 200 or even 300psi cranking psi IDK. But you couldn't drive that engine because it will rattle the skirts right off the pistons when you pour the coals to her.
Cruising at 2400; if you are NOT at WOT, then your engine will not achieve max pressure, because it is not inhaling a max load of air, so the RUNNING Pressure is well below the detonation limit, or is supposed to be,lol.

So now, we can talk about Cruise Timing:
Since the Running Pressure will be so low, because;
1) the carb is heavily throttled, and
2) the rpm (2400) is so low, and
3) the Ica is barely trapping what it is getting... and
4) in all likelyhood you are gonna try and run this beast as cool as possible, and
5) the Scr is predicted to be just 9.5
This will require an exceptionally early ignition event, so that meager max pressure can arrive on top of the piston, at the optimum point in it's rotation.... which never changes..and is always in the neighborhood of 25 to 28 degrees ATDC. That is how you achieve max fuel economy.

When you start the fire is of NO CONSEQUENCE, the important thing is to have max pressure occur at the right time. (See note 1)

You could get better fuel economy;
with more Running Cruise Pressure, or
a bigger piston to create more downforce, or
a longer stroke, or
you could just run it hotter, or
install a cam with an earlier closing intake to trap more pressure.
And then, hitching the new engine to a lower cruise rpm.
But the question then becomes; how small an engine can you build, and still have adequate acceleration and reserve power; Power to pass, to climb, to operate at a higher altitude, or to keep up in traffic.

See note 1
When you start the fire is of NO CONSEQUENCE, the important thing is to have max pressure occur at the right time.
How can you know when you are there? That's what I wanted to know. So I got me a stand-alone, dash-mounted, dial-back, timing retard computer with a range of 15 degrees.
So then, I got my car up to my chosen cruise speed. And when it had settled in to it, I read the roadspeed, then retarded the timing 3 degrees, expecting a LOSS of efficiency and so a reduction in roadspeed. And that is what happened. So then I put the 3 degrees back in plus 3 more, expecting an increase in efficiency, and so an increase in roadspeed. And that is what happened.
And so that is how it went all summer. Then in fall, I pulled The D out and modified the Vcan to get me the timing she wanted. Then, next summer back at it I went.
Yes I was serious about fuel economy, because I intended to drive this car until I died. That was 20 years ago..... But I outlived the body, which is now succumbing to the elements. I did manage so far to accumulate about 130,000 miles on it tho, some of which cruised at up to double the mpg, of what most other guys can get out of them.
Note 2
where do you start? I started by reving it up in neutral, to my chosen cruise rpm and then just pulling in the timing, while simultaneously reducing the throttle to maintain that rpm. When the rpm no longer increased with additional timing, then I knew the engine was fighting itself. I backed up 3 degrees and that is where I started.
Trying to do this any other way is an exercise in frustration, and could take years. Especially, if, like me, you tend to run several rear gears or transmissions, even in one summer,lol.

Thanks @AJ/FormS I appreciate your time and am learning a lot. Good news, I am now the owner of a 27ft travco. Guy gave it to me just to get it out of his property! Of all things it has a 318-3 engine in it. That will be swapped out.

So a couple more thoughts. Looks like a lock up is in order, so I need to find a heavy duty lock up converter. Anyone have advice? Would like to find a multi clutch one like they have for the cummins engines so it will live behind the torque.

Second idea is what about a 2 speed rear end swap? Lots of M500 M600 chassis (same as my rv) had these, and they can be bought for not much more than scrap price. I could use it to keep the rpms up in the motor while pulling steeper grades. Again just spitballing.

so it will live behind the torque.
Keep in mind that your torque rating is at WOT.
Idling down the hiway at 2400 on the primaries at Part Throttle,
if the chassis takes 100hp to propel, your engine will be asked to produce just ,
100 x5250/2400=219 ftlbs Net,
and that is all that the lock-up will have to deal with.
But if your chassis only requires 80hp, then;
80 x5250/2400=175 ftlbs.

What year ?
You might just do a stroker 360 and a 47rh O.D .... that would give you plenty of torque and the trany would swap right in . No mods neccesary !

Can you shift those at speed? I don't recall ever seeing any synchros in the ones I ever built.

They can be shifted while moving. However you have to take your foot off the throttle, then shift, then get back into it. Not ideal, but I can plan ahead and shift before pulling a grade that may need it.

I have looked into those 2 speed rear ends and didnt think they would work in my C-class Dana 70
Is your traveco different ?

Keep in mind that your torque rating is at WOT.
Idling down the hiway at 2400 on the primaries at Part Throttle,
if the chassis takes 100hp to propel, your engine will be asked to produce just ,
100 x5250/2400=219 ftlbs Net,
and that is all that the lock-up will have to deal with.
But if your chassis only requires 80hp, then;
80 x5250/2400=175 ftlbs.

Yep that is right. The thing that concerns me though is my memory is not what it used to be. One time of me forgetting to unlock the converter when I get into the throttle and it could be toast. Maybe there is some kind of way to do a pressure override to disengage it. Shouldn't be too hard to put an electric sensor in line with the trans cooler line. I'll have to do some studying on it.

I have looked into those 2 speed rear ends and didnt think they would work in my C-class Dana 70
Is your traveco different ?

I depends upon what chassis you are running, and what wheel and tire combo you have clearance for. Travcos have clearance for a 33" tire. Travco has the same chassis as a lot of the heavy duty dodge d500 and d600 trucks from the 60's and 70"s. I would have to do some measuring to know for certain if they would fit. Travco is a Class A rig.

Last edited:
What year ?
You might just do a stroker 360 and a 47rh O.D .... that would give you plenty of torque and the trany would swap right in . No mods neccesary !

I have thought a lot about stroker builds, but I am unsure what the longevity of them is. I have read about some needing rings after 40k miles. At my age and with my horribly bad back, I need to know whatever I build will go 100k plus. Does anyone know of one lasting that long?

I actually have two stroker 408's here I am going through and was planning to sell. I enjoy building the engines, but taking them in and out of a motorhome is no where close to fun for me. I only want to do this once.

No not yet. I didn't have much time today. I will be going back with a hot battery, fuel pump and a 5 gallon can of gas to try to get the thing started and running enough to make the 10mile trip home. It is not a cream puff, but is in much better shape than I anticipated for the price. I will snap some pics when I get back over there.

I have the Dodge Truck parts book for 73-77 and will check application .

As for the longevity of 408s ... Ots hard to put 40k on RVs. Mine has around 79k original since 78
View attachment 1715683768
6AEBB0B5-6A14-469A-84A4-F45483411F67.jpeg

I have the Dodge Truck parts book for 73-77 and will check application .

As for the longevity of 408s ... Ots hard to put 40k on RVs. Mine has around 79k original since 78
View attachment 1715683768 View attachment 1715683769

Oh I know most sit a lot. But I will be putting some miles on mine. Just one trip planned is to go from Atlanta, GA to various points in Alaska. That will be at least 10,000 miles for just that. When my wife retires in a couple years I plan on being full time Rvers for a year or more. I will also use it for my business when I go out of town handling insurance claims after storms. I am going to guess I hit something close to 40k just the first two or three years.

Last edited:
They can be shifted while moving. However you have to take your foot off the throttle, then shift, then get back into it. Not ideal, but I can plan ahead and shift before pulling a grade that may need it.
Yes but, from memory, the reduction is about the same as simply downshifting the main trans. About 33%; which turns a 5.56 into a 7.39, and rpm will jump from 2400 to 3200. Whereas a downshift from overdrive to "Drive "is 3480. I don't see a 2-speed particularly useful in this case.

But I do see it, if you do NOT have an overdrive trans, and worked the rear backwards like an overdrive.
Now for comparison, 4.56 x.69od in the A518, =3.15 for 70=2400
To equal that with a two-speed operating in reverse mode. would require
3.15 x1.33=4.20s in the back.
But say you found one with 3.91s.....
then, the planetary speed will be 3.91 x1.33=5.20 Now you could be in low range for take-off, hitting 4000 in drive at about 65mph, then into high range the Rs would drop to 4000 x 1/1.33=3000@ 65mph. Then into lock-up the Rs fall to 2550, still at 65; and 70 would then be 2750. Still in 3.91 Hi-range in the diff.
For comparison, 1/1.33= .75 or 75% That is a nice progression for the A727, which would be
2.45-1.45-1.00-.75"overdrive" ; with splits of
.59-.69-.75 just what your rig needs. I like it.
Looking at it in roadgears, with a 3.91 C&P starting out in 1.33 low-range, I get
12.74-7.54-5.20-3.91 and loc-up. And 70=2750
Compare that to the A518 and 4.56s;
11.17-6.61-4.56-3.15 and loc-up. And 70=2400
In "fourth gear" the 2-speed 3.91 is 24% better than A518.
With 400 ftlbs on tap, this amounts to an extra 100 ftlbs available for climbing/etc without downshifting... which is a good thing, cuz those 2-speed units do not like to be downshifted at speed. Once you get to cruise-speed, you want to leave the two-speed in high range.
But as you can see, even with 3.91s your starter gear is 14% better for about a half-gear jump off the line.

In both cases, the TC will add it's own multiplier, varying perhaps from 1.8 to 1.1 ,with load and rpm.

I don't see a bad side to this idea.
You don't need an A518 nor adapters. Theoretically speaking, if you could find smaller than 3.91s for the back, you wouldn't need a loc-up either, But IDK if that is possible nor even desireable.
But then, you wouldn't need the 413 either, a stout 360........ like mine lol, would do the trick, you might just want to shift it a lil higher than 4000 and wait until 70 to hit Hi-Range.
Oh I can hear that Thermoquad-360 screaming thru the dual 3inchers already, lol.
360s can make 400 tq as well, they just can't give it to you from 2000 to 4000 rpm lol. But with a progressive shifting combo like the 2-speed delivers, it doesn't need to.
But hey, I know you got your sights set on the 413, and I can certainly see the attraction in cruising at 2400, with the engine sitting right there beside you. But to do that with a 2-speed would require a rear C&P of 3.36s, AND a loc-up besides.....if I am right about the 33% planetary ratio increase, going from memory, lol. (I used to build those for a living,back in the 80s)

More spitballing;
The more I think about this, Especially that short progressive shift out of Lo-range, the more I think how a Hi-pressure 360 could easily pull that with a a hi-stall/loc-up, and a short-period cam, and with only 4" pistons, and a long stroke(relatively speaking), Fuel Economy is a shoo-in. Ima thinking up to a 218/223 cam, alloy heads and 185/190psi minimum cranking cylinder pressure.
But hey, now the A518 bolts on....................
Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Heck-ya. Run both the A518 AND the 2-speed. Say Hello to 70= 2020 in od on the flat close to sealevel, but 2920 at altitude in Drive. And getaload of the take-off power in low range! with 4.10s now, your road gears could be
13.36-7.91-5.45-4.10-2.83, lo-range in red, hi-range in blue.
Count them; 5 speeds not including loc-up.
And nice progressive splits of .59-.69-.75-.69od
Yeah, no; the thermoquad on the 360, IDK if it can pull 70mph in 2.83rear gear, on the teensey primaries,lol. But if it did! now yur all set up, for mpgs.
BTW,
13.36 as above, with 33" tires is the same as;
10.73 with 26.5s, and 4.05s.,
With the TC adding it's multiplier and say a 2800 stall this would make a killer take-off in a 4000 pound car....... Yeah OK I get that your Travco will be a tad heavier than 4000, but you are not likely to ever floor your 413 from a standing stop either.
Ok now, suppose you did floor your 413, and it exploded into 4.56s at all 400 ftlbs. That maths out to 4469 ftlbs thru 2.45 first gear, into the rear axles.
But the 360 into 4.10s x1.33 will need only 335 ftlbs (84%) to match it.
Going back to the 100hp theoretical chassis requirement to cruise at 70mph. At 2020 the 360 would need 260 ftlbs to cruise on the flat. Your 413 at 2400 requires a lil less, at 219. But the 360 is not working all that much harder. And, taking it out of loc-up, might get you say 2376 rpm and now the requirement is 221 ftlbs...... lol.
I love this;
13.36-7.91-5.45-4.10-2.83, lo-range in red, hi-range in blue.
Count them; 5 speeds not including loc-up.
And nice progressive splits of .59-.69-.75-.69od
What do I mean without lock up?
Well the TC adds torque to every gear, depending on the torque going into it from the crank, and the resistance of the chassis to accelerating.
The ratio varies continuouslt between a possible hi of 1.8 to a possible low of 1.1. The multiplier is greatest at zero mph and least when cruising.
So then on the start-line, this 13.36 could be as high as 24:1 !! but as soon as the vehicle starts to move, this multiplier begins to diminish.
Lets say in first gear it averages 1.4, and let's say in second it averages 1.3 and in drive under load it averages 1.2, and when you put it into hi-range, 1.1
Ok your new ratios, which you will be seeing on the tach, reflect this
18.70-10.28-8.63-4.51/4.10locked-up, and 3.11/2.83locked up. Count them; I get 6 or 7,lol, ratios, depending on when you use loc-up. Good stuff.
Fun with math.

Last edited:
-
Back