Torque Monster !

Big Block A body Tech

1. fishmens67

fishmens67 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:12 PM
    I bet if you bought Jim a donut and a cup of coffee, he would give you some direction.
    He's probably snowboarding and will be back in the spring. lol
    I guess you forgot, we have one of the best engine builders in our own backyard. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1

273 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      1:12 PM
      I’m not recommending to do this, but as this is basically a thought experiment. You’d probably be better off going the other way. Do like how car manufacturers are doing it now.
      Small displacement and turbo, small efficient bore high cr and longish stroke.

eg.. 273 with a 360 crank for about 300 cid. 302 heads mild ported and with quench plus higher rocker ratio like 1.6 or 1.7 with moderate lift roller cam and really short duration. Add magnum beer barrel intake with a small turbo and inter cooler that works over 2000-4000 rpm range to give passing power and help off the lights in a intersection. Try to get CR in the 9 - 10 to. 1 range, with the help of thermal coatings and do everything to lower ambient air temps, add water / methanol injection etc... plus OD for 1700-2000 rpm crusin. Cost a bundle but probably be an efficient package.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    • IQ52

IQ52 Well-Known Member

Local Time:
      11:12 AM
      How fast can you safely go in a motorhome? There is a severe grade between Bishop, CA and Twin Lakes. In the 1970's-80 my father was telling someone that he could pull that grade in his 30' Vogue MH at 80 mph and was told that was BS.

So the $500 bet was on.

Before the run up the grade the other party talked with a friend of his and was told, "Hey, I was passed by that motorhome on that grade and I was going 80 mph." BET OFF!

Dad built an engine for a friend's 34' motorhome. The owner framed the CHP ticket that he got for running 95 mph racing a Jaguar on a California interstate.

Both engines were stock stroked 440's with aluminum dual plane intakes, headers, ported factory iron heads and a good camshaft.

• Like Like x 1
      • mbaird

mbaird mbaird FABO Gold Member

Local Time:
        11:12 AM
        Good to have you chime in Jim.
        It is not about speed as much as it is having the power to get up our grades and backcountry climbs at speeds over 20 mph ...lol
        Obviously a stout 440 would suffice but just for kicks it is interesting to hash out an over the top build . Besides a guy could pick up a used stroker crank and alloy heads fairly cheap. The rest is pistons ,rings , cam and machine work. The trick is setting everything up so that it will live in that environment.

• AJ/FormS

AJ/FormS 68 B'cuda fb, Form S clone ... 367/A833/3.55s

South-Central Manitoba,Canada, 900ftelevation
        Local Time:
        12:12 PM
        The turbo(s) doesn't have to be in the doghouse....... Small 4-cylinder engines put the turbo as close to the engine as possible to avoid lag.
        I don't see 7.2 liters as small............... And I don't see this application as sensitive to lag.
        I imagine a small turbo as kicking up the torque at low rpm and creating the exhaust flow to power up the bigger turbo which will drive the tank up those long grades at thin-air altitudes; just leave it in drive,lol.
        You could hang the turbos down in the air-stream or out front somewhere, I mean there's lots of real estate available.
        Yeah ok a bit complicated maybe, but well worth it in the end. You wouldn't have to build log manifolds; So that eliminates a lot of the complication.
        I imagine an exhaust plenum with the turbos running off that.
        I think oiling the down-low turbos would be the most complicated bit of engineering to overcome, and even that shouldn't be a big problem with all the real estate under there. Ima thinking a remote oil tank, and a scavenge pump, maybe a stand-alone system. Heck, the power steering pump is right there, doing nothing but beating up the fluid; maybe you could adapt that.
        Jus throwing stuff out there.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
        By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.