Torque plates and gen good machine shop

-

Spadman

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My local machinist is an old friend and has done good work for me; but, he nor no one around, seems to have a mopar small block torque plate. I am in Eastern KY but travel often to Columbus Ohio along US23 to see my grandchildren and also travel to Eastern TN a lot. Does anyone have a shop they recommend along that corridor for a bore and hone? (With torque plates)

Last edited:
It’s south of you but worth the trip. Beverly’s Auto Parts, Pound, Virginia. Open Monday through Thursday,
(276)-796-4752. Raced Mopars for years.

My local machinist is an old friend and has done good work for me; but, he nor no one around, seems to have a mopar small block torque plate. I am in Eastern KY but travel often to Columbus Ohio along US23 to see my grandchildren and also travel to Easter TN a lot. Does anyone have a shop they recommend along that corridor for a bore and hone? (With torque plates)

A guy called "Rosie" in Middleton? or Middletown Ohio had a Mopar machine shop. This was 20 years ago.

It’s south of you but worth the trip. Beverly’s Auto Parts, Pound, Virginia. Open Monday through Thursday,
(276)-796-4752. Raced Mopars for years.
That’s less than an hour from me. Found they are not in on Friday but will call Monday.
A guy called "Rosie" in Middleton? or Middletown Ohio had a Mopar machine shop. This was 20 years ago.
Thanks for the tip. Looks like they are just South of Dayton. Not too far from Columbus.

How about you Ohio guys that race National Trail. There’s always lot of Mopars there each August for the Nationals. And also Good Guys coming up soon. Who do you like in the Columbus area?

That’s less than an hour from me. Found they are not in on Friday but will call Monday.
It's worth it just to see the pictures of the mopar racecars hanging up that he used to run and hear the stories. Here’s a picture of one from a 1980s direct connection catalog.

2DC6F491-7B8E-434A-9D94-37EDA69EA49D.jpeg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, Bo Beverly passed away about a month ago. Another racing legend gone. When I called before; he was in the hospital and today I found he was gone. I missed the chance to make that visit. Some speculation his son may carry on the business but the phone is discontinued at present.

I remember Ed Hamburger. Yeah, good to have had those. Do you do for others?

I would suggest buying the torque plate and working a deal with your machine shop.

How fast are you looking to go??? If it’s a 9 second build or slower do you really feel the need for torque plates.

How fast are you looking to go??? If it’s a 9 second build or slower do you really feel the need for torque plates.
No, it will not be a race engine at all; just street and occasional strip. Into the 12s will be great for me. The current 360 build I’m finishing has piston clearances all over the place from .00175 to as much as .00425 after honing rust out of it. That’s not the build I wanted a torque plate for!

I’m looking down the road to a 340 build that I would like to be as good as it can be. For that one I want to find the best shop I can. Hensley sounds like a good bet. I’ve also found a good shop near my sons in Ohio. I travel to both places at least once a month.

No, it will not be a race engine at all; just street and occasional strip. Into the 12s will be great for me. The current 360 build I’m finishing has piston clearances all over the place from .00175 to as much as .00425 after honing rust out of it. That’s not the build I wanted a torque plate for!

I’m looking down the road to a 340 build that I would like to be as good as it can be. For that one I want to find the best shop I can. Hensley sounds like a good bet. I’ve also found a good shop near my sons in Ohio. I travel to both places at least once a month.

With these 40-50 year old stock blocks they twist in so many different directions that it’s hard to imagine. Every trick in the book isn’t needed on every build. I’ve had one engine that I was told was bored with a torque plate in almost 50 years of racing. 8.60’s@155mph with one engine and 8.40’s@160mph with another one. Both honed at home with a brush hone. Don’t pass up a good shop over something like a torque plate. Do what you want but I’m just throwing this out there.

With these 40-50 year old stock blocks they twist in so many different directions that it’s hard to imagine. Every trick in the book isn’t needed on every build. I’ve had one engine that I was told was bored with a torque plate in almost 50 years of racing. 8.60’s@155mph with one engine and 8.40’s@160mph with another one. Both honed at home with a brush hone. Don’t pass up a good shop over something like a torque plate. Do what you want but I’m just throwing this out there.
I appreciate the info Pittsburg. That’s good to know.

I appreciate the info Pittsburg. That’s good to know.

I hate to see guys spend money needlessly and pass up a good shop because they don’t have a Mopar torque plate. I’m betting some shops go as far as lying about using torque plates. My 572 in my heads up car is probably 900-1000 horsepower and I built it to handle a 300-700 hit of nitrous and it wasn’t honed with a plate.

Make sure you install the freeze plugs before final hone too. :rolleyes:

-
Back