Torqueflite drive plate installation question

-

Deemo

Reaction score
just want to make sure this is right. Book shows this way, just double checking its right....

And do I need the shim for the starter?? Changing engines and taking a 3 speed over to an auto. Want to make sure it's right before bolting this together. Anything else i might need off the donor car??? I have everything

image.jpg

image.jpg

that is correct....lay the flexplate on the converter ....line up the holes...and paint one of the lugs with the flexplate on it...as there is one lug that is offset....easy to line up once it is all installed on car.

a shim for the starter? I've never needed one. Are you talking about the dust cover (below)? if so - yes, use it.
A10685_Mopar_Small_Block_727_Transmission_Inspection_Cover_Plate_Dust_Cover_6_.jpg

The plate to the top left of the flex plate.

that is correct....lay the flexplate on the converter ....line up the holes...and paint one of the lugs with the flexplate on it...as there is one lug that is offset....easy to line up once it is all installed on car.

Ok. I do know there is a pin hole on that plate that goes opposite of the torque converter drain plug. I'll mark it up. When I put it on. Looking for the bolts That's the one thing I don't have apparently. I looked through 2 cars, several baggies, and miscellaneous boxes and can't find those bolts.

Thanks for the extra set of eyes!!!

From the donor car....dont forget the kickdown linkage, automatic slip yoke, trans cooling lines (and radiator?), driveshaft from the donor (if its the same body style and differential), shift linkage, back up / nss wiring harness..... and I am sure more.

Last edited:
From the donar car....dont forget the kickdown linkage, automatic slip yoke, trans cooling lines (and radiator?), driveshaft from the donor (if its the same body style and differential), shift linkage, back up / nss wiring harness..... and I am sure more.

Yup. Got all of that stuff to go with it.

dont worry about the pin hole...just line the bolt holes up...

the bolts are special for the torque converter to flexplate...they have narrow heads to clear the back of the engine...two sizes...stock is 5/16 thread...and performance are 7/16....the bolt holes on the flexplate need to match those along with the treads on the converter

dont worry about the pin hole...just line the bolt holes up...

the bolts are special for the torque converter to flexplate...they have narrow heads to clear the back of the engine...two sizes...stock is 5/16 thread...and performance are 7/16....the bolt holes on the flexplate need to match those along with the treads on the converter

My torque converter has the bolts in place already. They are 5/16 thread. Already to go now as soon as I go pick up some bolts for that plate to mount to the crank.

If I'm not mistaken the flex plate to crank flange bolts are specials also.

-
Back