torsion Bar adjustment?

-

cudabob1965

Reaction score
I just put new leaf springs on my 65 Barracuda, they raised the rear end up at least 5 more inches. Getting ready to adjust the torsion bars, hopefully this will bring the front up enough to level it out. Getting some parts for the wheel alignment. Has anyone done this? was just wondering how much adjustment you can get out of the torsion bars.

Peek in and see how far the upper arm is off the bump stop. That's how far it would go up. Proper alignment will not be possible.

Something to check, as it happened to me:

I recently installed new rear leaf springs and initially also got about a 5" raise. As it turned out, they were no properly installed. It is worth checking to see if your rear shackles are truly hanging straight down (6:00), or slightly rearward. My shackles ended up at 2:00 and were resting on the bottom side of my trunk no allowing the spring to stretch out and balance the load. After I more carefully installed the spring, prying the shackle to proper position as I lowered the car, then did the car sit as it should have with about a 2-1/2" bump in height.

Good LUck

One could over tighten the U bolts putting the springs in a bind too.
Good luck with it.

One could over tighten the U bolts putting the springs in a bind too.
Good luck with it.

I don't see over tightened u-bolts as being a likely or even possible cause.

A 5" increase in ride height is pretty huge. What springs did you use? Super stocks? Did you tighten the pivot and shackle bushing nuts with weight on the wheels or the suspension hanging? It's best to tighten these with the weight on the wheels so the bushings don't take an excessive static torsional load. Expect the rear to settle a bit, especially if the bushing nuts were tightened with the wheels hanging.

You can raise the front easily enough by tightening the torsion bar adjusters (this you should do with the wheels hanging). Keep in mind that the camber will change as you raise ride height, and as stated above, you'll run out of adjustment on the UCA cams before the arms touch the rebound bumper. So, unless you car was set really low, you'll have trouble raising the front 5" and while keeping camber within spec.

It looks like you are exactly right after reading your information I went out and looked sure enough the shackles are pushed all the way back and up against the bottom of the car and you say they should be hanging straight down? This would be the same problem you had I am taking it back to shop Monday Morning Thank you so much for this information

rearsusp1.jpg

Thanks for your advice now finding out the car has 2 inch too long leaf springs don't know why yet will probably get the ones removed re worked and use them

-
Back