Torsion bar adjustment.

-

ptbill

Reaction score
If I adjust the torsion bars to lower the front end by 1" on my 65 Barracuda do I need to get the front end re aligned?

You also want to read the manual on ride height and look under there and see what your suspension travel looks like. raising much or lowering much can lead to front end damage because of running out of travel on hard bumps. Lowering of course is much more troublesome

Yes, if you lower an inch you’ll need a new alignment.

And if you’ve got stock torsion bars and you lower an inch you’ll just be riding the bump stops. So really, if you want to lower an inch and not have the ride quality suck, you’ll need larger torsion bars, better shocks and a new alignment.

Even if you lower the rear by the same appropriate amount, the alignment might change. You need to check it regardless.

Even if you lower the rear by the same appropriate amount, the alignment might change. You need to check it regardless.
Will change.

The caster angle won't change significantly if you keep the front to rear rake the same, ie, lower the car the same amount front and rear.

But the caster is the absolute least of anyone's worries, it's not a tire wearing angle. The static toe is the biggest issue, and it will absolutely change because the angle of the lower control arm is changing. That angle change effectively shortens/lengthens the lower control arm, and even a small change in toe can rapidly wear the tires. Sure, the tires were traveling through that same point before as the suspension traveled, but, the amount of time they spend at or very near the static ride height far exceeds the amount of time they'd spend in that space before the height change.

The camber of course also changes, and although that's also a tire wearing angle it's still a more minor effect that what happens with the toe.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and I decided to not mess with the ride height.

-
Back