Torsion bar and nut

-

rod7515

Reaction score
Before I paint the engine compartment I wanted to fit everything together so if any modifications were needed I wouldnt have to redo newly painted areas. For the most part things fit fairly well. I have 2 questions tonight, first is, are the torsion bars the same front to back and left to right. 2nd is, on the lower control arm, the stud that goes thru the K Frame is tightened down with a washer and nut. I cant find them for one side so where can I find them to buy?
Thanks
Rod

Different left and right on the torsion bars unless they're BIG. There is no front and back, but most guys will install them with the three numbers from the part number visible. The nut and washer will probably have to be used.

These torsion bars are the factory 8 cylinder ones. How do I tell the difference from the right and left? Is it a part number odd / even? When you say part number visible the only part number I saw was on the ends so I assume you mean the numbers towards the back of the car?
Thanks
Rod

I think they are 892 893. The easiest way I found is I think of P E. Passenger side even number. I am pretty sure that goes for all the car. Someone else should chime in also.

If you are reinstalling bars that have been used then yes there is a left and right and front and back. Put one in wrong and watch it snap! Some bars are marked L and R on the end with the slot across it which is the crossmember end.

I just bought the nuts new at Fastenal. Cost $3. Take an old one in with you, and the washer. Don't get the
nylok style.

OK, ive gone and bought new nuts and washers, but as for the torsion bar Still a few questions. The torsion bars have numbers and letters on both ends. I think the ends I am to be looking at for numbers are as follows, 890 / UWS and the other one having 891 / UUL. now on the other end is 88R / 325 with the 890 bar and 88L / 395 with the 891 bar. I also measured these and they are .855 thick. I am assuming that the 890 would be passenger side and that end should go toward rear of car.
Any help is appreciated.
Rod

The R is the passenger side. The L is the drivers. There is no front or rear. As long as you install the bars on the correct side, the twist on the bar is the same no matter which end you install front or rear.

-
Back