Torsion Bar Help Needed Quick!!!!

-

67ragtop

Reaction score
Went to adjust the torsion bar bolt to correct the height on vehicle and the bolt popped out. The middle of the bolt is stripped and has access steel on the threads. The block which it threads into has the same. Tire is up inside the wheel well and car is sitting inches from the ground any solutions. I don't think I am, but am I in danger of frame or torsion bar damage. I am just trying to get the tire to stop rubbing the fender. SEE MY TIRE COMBO THREAD!!! PLEASE HELP MY CHAINSAW RUNS BETTER THAN MY CAR....

8-8-09 047.JPG

You may be able to get those parts at the parts store. Did you adjust the torsion bars with the full weight of the car on the ground or did you jack up the front?

I know all this fender rubbing feels like a big problem but it really isn't.

You had a tire that was to big, you have a wheel with the wrong offset and you have a front end out of adjustment....

Full weight but I was lowering so I thought I would be ok. The bolt was loose after I had it aligned. I jacked the car up tightened it. Lowered the car bounce it a couple of times then lowered it until it popped out. Three quarter turns.

You may be able to get those parts at the parts store. Did you adjust the torsion bars with the full weight of the car on the ground or did you jack up the front?

What he said. That is a fairly easy fix, just need the block and the bolt.

Just getting burned out at this point. Probably worked on car for last 45 days straight unless I had to work a double. Just want to driv ethe car because it has been sooo loonggg. Thats probably half of my problem. I am constantly doing things on the car under frustration or lack of sleep and everything I touch turns to ****.

Just getting burned out at this point. Probably worked on car for last 45 days straight unless I had to work a double. Just want to driv ethe car because it has been sooo loonggg. Thats probably half of my problem. I am constantly doing things on the car under frustration or lack of sleep and everything I touch turns to ****.

Your car looks great, just relax. You will get the fender rubbing situation figured out.

I remember the time I couldn't get the U-joint out of my Chevelle drive line. When it was over the drive line was sticking out of the windshield. It didn't help anything.

Remember you car is for fun.... If it's not fun, set it aside and do something else for a while.

If I can't retap the block in the lower control arm. How would I go about removing it. I am assuming I will remove upper control arm,tie rod,sway bar, and shock. I figured I need to get the lower control low enough to remove the tension on the swivel part or i will never be able to get the block(where bolt threads into) out. What about the tension on the torsion bar?

Once the car is jacked up that block will come out. Its just floating around in th slot. I wouldn't bother to try retapping it.

Redfish, It seems as though the swivel part is putting pressure on it. How do I move the swivel part?
With the car jacked up the finger shouldn't be putting a whole lot of pressure on that block, but if it is, Jack the lower arm up enough to remove the rubber bump stop under the upper arm which will let it all drop even further.

redfish, I took off bumper for upper control arm. Jacked up the lower and nothing. I even tried to pry it a little to see if it moved. It looks as if i jack up the lower control arm that finger would put more pressure on block. Suggestions.

I hate to interrupt but I think redfish was telling you to lift via the lower a-arm to remove the bumper and then lift the car via the k-member so the wheel can drop as far as it can go. Correct me if I'm wrong redfish.

-
Back