Torsion Bar ID help

-
Yes, will fit, but not operate as designed!

Mopar torsion bars are preset at the factory in the direction of use. You can observe this preset by laying the bars down on a flat surface and observing how the bar is twisted. The driver’s side bars will have a 30 degree right hand twist. A passenger side bar will have a 30 degree left handed twist. Pre-setting the bars in this manner improves the load carrying capacity in the pre-set direction. But, the load carrying capacity is reduced in the other direction of twist. This is why it is so important to get the bars installed on the correct side of the car. This twist is put into the bar during fabrication and is done to strengthen the bar. If the bars are put on the wrong side, they will be loaded against the pre-set and will not be able to carry their rated load.
I'm sorry I think you miss understood my question. I probably was not clear my bad!!
I know pass side and driver side ( left and right) cant be changed I ment end to end. Like a left bar on the left side but putting one end first vs the other end.

Accually they can, I did a quick math and came up with 360* div by 6 = 60* and they have a 30* twist so they can go any way front, back, left, right, it doesn't matter.

Accually they can, I did a quick math and came up with 360* div by 6 = 60* and they have a 30* twist so they can go any way front, back, left, right, it doesn't matter.
Hmm that is interesting. Why would they bother marking them left and right and having different numbers if they can switch from left to right?

Because they are made to twist in one direction only.

So left side can go ether way front to rear and it will have the same twist.
But not right to left it will be backwards.

Ok I got you!! So as long as the left one is on the drivers side and the right is on the passenger side it doenst matter which way it goes in?

so what happens when someone installs the t-bars opposite ? right on left and left on right side

People have done just that for decades in order to twist the bars in the opposite directions. This twists the bars in a new direction and will help restore lost ride height due to worn or overly twisted bars.

No, it's not the best idea and could very well lead to a broken bar due to metal fatigue. But it has been done for a long time and quite successfully.

People have done just that for decades in order to twist the bars in the opposite directions. This twists the bars in a new direction and will help restore lost ride height due to worn or overly twisted bars.

No, it's not the best idea and could very well lead to a broken bar due to metal fatigue. But it has been done for a long time and quite successfully.
So in theory switching them would create a "stiffer" bar?

So in theory switching them would create a "stiffer" bar?

Yes, but it's certainly not a bonifide or recommended repair. Since they will be twisting the opposite direction than the last 50 plus years, the chances of one or both failing is greater than leaving them in the same place. I only mention it because I have seen it done in the past.

Yes, but it's certainly not a bonifide or recommended repair. Since they will be twisting the opposite direction than the last 50 plus years, the chances of one or both failing is greater than leaving them in the same place. I only mention it because I have seen it done in the past.
Yea not something that I would do but it's cool info to have.

-
Back