torsion bar opinions wanted

-

sdahmer

Reaction score
I'm just about finished restoring my 72 dart's suspension and steering. Last thing I need are some new t-bars and I have no clue which to get. So I have two questions, does brand matter? What size to get? 318 with possible 360 swap, srings are stock height mopar performance, tires are 215 70 14, and shocks are bilsteins. Thanks!

nice shock decision. with those, i would definitely use just suspension's 1.0" bars. they go on sale every now and then for around 179 free shipping on their ebay store...

Modern theory is stiffer is better nowadays with a good shock. 179 sounds like a killer deal, but 1.00 may be a bit stiff, maybe one down like the 990. Depends on what you like.

I'm just about finished restoring my 72 dart's suspension and steering. Last thing I need are some new t-bars and I have no clue which to get. So I have two questions, does brand matter? What size to get? 318 with possible 360 swap, srings are stock height mopar performance, tires are 215 70 14, and shocks are bilsteins. Thanks!

it really depends on your intended use...

is it a pure street cat or is it going to be a pure strip car?

pure street i like the 1" from just suspension. they are firm but sure not harsh.

pure track car you'll want most likely a 6 cyl bar..

a combo maybe go with a 383 bar or something close to that.

the bigger bars will make out driving those little tires pretty easy.

Car will be street and I'm a pretty aggressive driver. Those sound like a great deal since I had been looking at the hotchkis 1.03 bars.

Car will be street and I'm a pretty aggressive driver. Those sound like a great deal since I had been looking at the hotchkis 1.03 bars.

then yes i would go at least 1". the biggest issue is those little tires. you'll out drive those at the slightest bit of aggressiveness..

I have Firm Feel 0.940 inch bars on my street driven 67 Dart with a tarted-up slant six, and inexpensive Monroe gas shocks. The car is not hard riding at all, and combined with 1 1/8th anti-sway bar the car is very stable. However the six leaf springs out back controlling an 8 ¾ Suregrip are on the stiff side, but don’t seem to require roll bar.

With your heaver V8, 1.00 inch bars would probably ride close to my setup. If I recall, FF lists the spring rate of their bars. Going from 0.940” to 1.00” bar is defiantly a step up in stiffness.

I'd be looking in the 1" range for torsion bars, 1.00" to 1.03" is right on for a street driver with aggressive handling. If you can get the 1" Just Suspension bars on sale that'd be great, I bought my 1" bars from them when they first started selling on eBay. They were selling them for $159 then. :D

For modern handling, that's about where you need to be. The ride with that size bar should be firm, but not too harsh (depending on your shocks). A 1" bar should be around 200 lb/in for a spring rate, give or take a little depending on the manufacturer.

Thanks for your help guys. Will be ordering the pst 1" bars sometime this month.

-
Back