torsion bar problem!! wont line up

-

67valiant

Reaction score
so i replaced the cross memeber in my 67 valinant becasue the passanger side had tore apart where the torsion bar goes through at. we pulled the doner cross member from a 72 and i just set it in there to test fit and i wanted to slide the torsion bars in to make sure everythings good but the hex is about a 1/8 of a turn off so it wont slide into the control arm could my torsion bars just be completly screwed or is there somethin im missing?and yes the tension is completley off of them. im lost on what i should do i dont wanna buy new ones if i dont need them.

thanks, john

You may need to remove the cone shaped rubber bumper that the upper control arm rests on when the suspension is hanging.

Also, you didn't mix up the torsion bars, there is a right and left?

so i replaced the cross memeber in my 67 valinant becasue the passanger side had tore apart where the torsion bar goes through at. we pulled the doner cross member from a 72 and i just set it in there to test fit and i wanted to slide the torsion bars in to make sure everythings good but the hex is about a 1/8 of a turn off so it wont slide into the control arm could my torsion bars just be completly screwed or is there somethin im missing?and yes the tension is completley off of them. im lost on what i should do i dont wanna buy new ones if i dont need them.

thanks, john

the adjuster bolt completly out ?

nope there not mixed up, and yes the adjuster bolt is completly out,

i had the same problem with the adjuster bolt all the way out. On the arm thing that goes to the bolt from the top i wedged a piece of wood to get it to turn the extra 1/8th in i needed on both sides. You may need to keep putting stuff in there to get it to turn right but eventually you will get it.
hope that makes sense

when you tighten the bolt it goes up so it needs to be pushed down just a tad so if you wedge something in between the arm thing and the frame piece it works

here this should help explain what i am talking about

23289650008_large copy.jpg

thanks thats what i needed to know, im gonna give it a try tonight and see what happens appreciate the help

I had the same problem when I changed mine last winter. I ended up using a big pry bar to rotate the receiver in the uca to get it lined up with the torsion bar. it was a real pia

oh i bet it was i figured it wasn't gonna be the easiest thing to do but ill get it done

Try partially removing the LCA (strut rod, of course needs to be unbolted) and then slide the torsion bar into the LCA, insert the strut rod (don't forget the washers, etc) and you may need to rotate the LCA down quite hard, but it will go that way, the torsion bar and LCA simultaneously. It worked on my 65.

-
Back