torsion bar question--Thanks

-

swifter

Reaction score
How do you know if your torsion bars are no longer doing what they are suppose to do,Do they wear out with age????? Is it when you can't adjust them anymore or your adjustment bolts are almost screwed all the way in?? Is it when you can't even out your ride height between sides????? Ok I guess you will say yes to all above?????? Thanks Steve

I would say "yes" to the above, but before condemming the bars, make darn sure that some part of the frame is not bent or cracked, allowing more sag, as well as the lower arms, AND ESPECially make sure the lower bushings are OK.

Yes, plus what 273 said.

You can actually get your ride height back (and more) by swapping L & R. I know because I did that accidentally on my 69 Dart. Many say that will make them snap, but I drove that way for many years until the car was stolen. BTW, a snapped T-bar is not catastrophic, usually just a big surprise, unless on a tight turn on a mountain road.

Yes. :D

It sounds like the torsion bars. They sag over time just like any spring, and the result will end up being that you run out of adjustment.

I'd recommend checking the rest of the suspension components to see if anything is obviously causing your problems. But, if the torsion bars are worn out and being replaced, its probably a good time to rebuild the front suspension too.

-
Back