Torsion bar setup

-

Lustle

Reaction score
Putting new wheels and tires on the scamp. And afterwards going to take it for an alignment. I know some of you guys get a "custom" alignment. Specific camber, toe, etc. For better road handling than the stock setup. Just wondering what some of you road race/track guys are running on your aligments. Looking for a decent setup for better handling on the street. With occasional strip duty.

Look here:

http://www.allpar.com/history/mopar/front-end-alignment.html

The "skosh chart" is the relevant stuff

289d4j7.jpg

I just realized that labeling this torsion bar setup probably wasn't the best. That's what I get for being on FABO past my bedtime.

But that chart is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!

It's not likely that you will be able to get any caster like that, unless you have installed the Moog Problem-Solver bushings to maximize the caster.
On the street, I run the maximum caster those bushings allow and minimum .5* neg caster.With those bushings, and a little tugging of the strutrods I was able to get 3.5* caster. Then,I had to fix the bumpsteer.The two sides will not come out the same as to caster when set to Zero camber. This is normal. Work on the side with the least caster first and then match the other side to it.
Go easy on the toe-in with new parts; generous with used. If the car wanders, and your front wheels are zero offset,you might have to play with the toe-in some. This will not require a realignment, unless you lose your place, so make toe adjustments in small increments, and always keep track of which way you went and how far.Alternate sides to keep the steering wheel pointed straight ahead.
As you move the wheels outboard, it get's more and more difficult to cure the wander.
These settings will give reasonable steering and long tire life.

-
Back