Torsion Bar Tension

-

gipperco

Reaction score
I am attempting my first disc brake conversion on my wife's 74 Dart Swinger. I have the donor parts from a 75 Dart. Can someone PLEASE tell me any secrets that I need to know to make this as painless as possible. I have read and heard that it is necessary to relieve the tension on the torsion bars to get this done. What is the best procedure to get that accomplished?

Thank you in advance.

There is an adjustment bolt on the lower control arm that pushes on a lever to tension the torsion bar. Back it out and and you will remove the tension from the bar. I've never done this conversion myself but thats how you remove the tension from the bar. Best of luck.

No, the T-bars are left alone for this. Your removing the spindal at most if it's a drum to disc swap. Leave the T-bars alone. The job is fairly straight foward I beileve.

I thought that the T-Bars had to be loosened up to be able to get everything back together. I have managed to get the one side apart but when I try to put new(donor) spindle on it is like 3" from being where it needs to be to tighten it all up.

It will make it much easier to swing the lower control arm around while bolting up the spindle.

with a floor jack under the lower arm you can get the upper arm back into position but it aint easy. I unload the torsion bar rather than fight it.

-
Back