torsion bar

-

danial

Reaction score
So got thru the k-frame problem turns out it was just 1\4" off.Now I have a problem with right side torsion bar does not line up.I tried removing stopper I lowered arm raised arm its like I need to turn one of the ends.There is another problem with trans.I know one at a time.

so close:banghead:

The torsion bars have a line on the back end, that line needs to be up and down. Also the bars are numbered. Remember "1,2" as looking forward from the rear bumper:most all parts that are left and right (suspension) sided are numbered odd and even. Odd being on the driver side and even being on the right- passenger. So if your stock bars have a number on the end (they should) the one that ends in an odd number is always on the left (driver) side. Big bars are not left right as they are so stiff they dont need a preload as stockers do. Sometimes I slip the bar in and then hang a big pipe wrench on the torsion bar socket on the LCA and my foot to push it in (turning the socket down more) and the torsion bar will slip right in. Remember the little clip when your done....

pishta, great info. I didn't know the verticle line thing, now I'll have to check my Dart. Just about to re-install the T-bars in my Valiant, so timely.

danial, are these new T-bars or used? If used, they should slip in easy since already sagged a bit, unless you swapped L & R, then they are very hard to install. I did that in my 69 Dart in dumF kid days (30 something). Barely got them in and it rode high. Many people say they will eventually break if you do that but drove 10 yrs like that, eventually sagging to proper height. If new bars, you may have to unbolt the UCA to drop the spindle enough to slide them in, then jack the LCA up just enough to slide the UCA bolts back in.

Thoes lines in my pic is how I reinstalled them the way i got it.Always wonder why there there.

Attachments

• 100_1759.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 359
  • 100_1761.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 539
Got it. Turn the notch vertical and the socket went in real nice.

Thanks. On to the next problem.

-
Back