Torsion Bars Test/Inspection

-

Monaro

Reaction score
I'm doing up front end and not sure how to test/inspect torsion bars to see if they are ok, is it just a case of seeing if the front end sags? p.s. looks great unlike the rest that looks like it the original gear from the factory-69 Cuda.
Monaro

The spring rate of the bars doesn't change, although they can sag over time. This however can usually be adjusted out using the torsion bar adjusters at the lower control arms.

There are other things to look for though, you want to keep an eye out for any damage mostly. Deep gouges, scrapes or other damage can lead to failure, and torsion bar failures are pretty spectacular. You'll also want to check the torsion bar anchors in the cross member, taking a look for any rust in the cross member and for good welds on the anchors. There's a member here who recently had his torson bar anchor tear loose from the cross member. Its a lot easier to reinforce the anchors BEFORE they tear loose, as they have to be clocked correctly.

And finally, if you're re-doing the front end, I'll assume you probably want the car to handle better? The stock torsion bars have a pretty low spring rate, resulting in a very undersprung front end. Most folks are a lot happier with torsion bars in the .92-1.00" range, I usually recommend 1" bars for a more modern ride and much improved handling. Just my .02.

I recall a member stating his torsion bars had a slight bow. Nobody knew how much bow would have been acceptable when new or used.
Since he hadn't marked these bars before removing he couldn't be sure they went back in the same way. My memory sux but I think everyone agrred new bars were his best choise. Hope this helps

Thanks for your input, just crawled out from under car both bars are free of any damage there is no rust and they are firmly attached to the car. I take it that measurment is taken through bar? if that is the case then the bars are just under a 1" (230mm-not sure what that is in inches). However if they are standard you think that it is better to change them for thicker ones? I will just have to see how much money is left over.
Cheers,
Monaro

Thanks for your input, just crawled out from under car both bars are free of any damage there is no rust and they are firmly attached to the car. I take it that measurment is taken through bar? if that is the case then the bars are just under a 1" (230mm-not sure what that is in inches). However if they are standard you think that it is better to change them for thicker ones? I will just have to see how much money is left over.
Cheers,
Monaro

I'm not sure what conversion table you're using, but the wiget on my Mac says 230mm = 9.055 inches. It shows one inch as being 25.4 mm. Just to make sure, I looked at a metal rule with both scales and it's the same. Using the same wiget for a standard V8 .87 diameter bar gives 22.098 mm. An .89 bar (heavy duty or AC) = 22.6, and the Mopar Performance .920 bar = 23.368mm. Finally the HD/race 1.06 aftermarket bars made by Firm Feel are 26.924mm.

Get the numbers off the end of the bar and post them here. If you have at least the 892-3 bars, they would be ok to reuse if you don't have the extra cash for an upgrade. Anything numerically lower and I'd recommend some thicker bars for better handling unless you like the soft suspension. Drag cars are the other way round......the thin 6cyl bars are the way to go.

I'm not sure what conversion table you're using, but the wiget on my Mac says 230mm = 9.055 inches. It shows one inch as being 25.4 mm. Just to make sure, I looked at a metal rule with both scales and it's the same. Using the same wiget for a standard V8 .87 diameter bar gives 22.098 mm. An .89 bar (heavy duty or AC) = 22.6, and the Mopar Performance .920 bar = 23.368mm. Finally the HD/race 1.06 aftermarket bars made by Firm Feel are 26.924mm.
Sorry mate put in too many 0, thanks for your input, never thought of getting a conversion table. I only used a small 'G' clamp to get the 23mm reading, got under car this morning with micrometer it shows 25.33mm = 0.997244", so does that means that these are aftermarket rods?, car was originally a 6 cylinder.
Cheers,
Monaro

Get the numbers off the end of the bar and post them here. If you have at least the 892-3 bars, they would be ok to reuse if you don't have the extra cash for an upgrade. Anything numerically lower and I'd recommend some thicker bars for better handling unless you like the soft suspension. Drag cars are the other way round......the thin 6cyl bars are the way to go.
Could not find any numbers, but I have worked out that the bars are 0.997244"
Cheers,
Monaro

-
Back