Tow Bars 71 Duster 318

-
I finished...... Believe this or not, my insurance from JC Taylor just came in the mail. I see I paid $12 for TOWING AND ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE :eek:ops:.
On the other hand, I can still tow the car to out of town shows and whatever :sign5:

How long do you want your tranny to last?

How long do you want your tranny to last?

Takes about 3 minutes to disconnect the u-joint. Is this the correct answer? Thinking of that, I will probably make a bracket to hold up the drive shaft when disconnected

The tranny and rear end are the only things I have not rebuilt, I am still struggling with a pan gasket problem on the transmission.

I hope you are not serious on using swing chains.....!!

This is why I put the :) at the end. I was trying for a little humor.... and that is what it was, very little humor:)

I did run into a challenge putting the bumper back on the car by myself. After all the clamping and welding. there was absolutely no tolerance left. I ended up slightly loosening the bolts that held the bumper to the brackets.
Then with tying the bumper to the front of the car and using a 4 foot crow bar and a heavy rubber mallet, I finally got them to fit to the frame. Then I tightened up the bumper bolts.

I feel much more invincible with a bumper reinforced the way I did this. I remember the Mopar crumple zone.
The bumper is not any stronger but the bracket sure the heck are.
Once I find the chains I want, I will test towing the car.

Thanx for all your feedback, I did use it

Once I find the chains I want, I will test towing the car.

Finished wiring my towing car for the lights,
The safety chains have been delivered.
If it ever cools down for a little while I will put it all together and see how well she tows.

How far is too far to two the Duster with a 904 transmission, with the drive shaft still connected?
I want to do a test tow on the car without disconnecting the drive shaft.

How far is too far to two the Duster with a 904 transmission, with the drive shaft still connected?
I want to do a test tow on the car without disconnecting the drive shaft.

I found some information. The pump that moves the oil in the transmission is driven by the engine.........So if you tow it and do not disconnect the drive shaft, The differential will keep the transmission spinning but there is nothing to keep it lubricated (the pump will not be running)

I found some information. The pump that moves the oil in the transmission is driven by the engine.........So if you tow it and do not disconnect the drive shaft, The differential will keep the transmission spinning but there is nothing to keep it lubricated (the pump will not be running)

1-3 miles depending on how brave you are and speed. :)
Towing with the driveline connected and the car not being raised in the front makes it worse to do. (No oil at the driveline bushing) (extension housing bushing is the real name)
When the front end us up like a towtruck tows them the rear bushings gets more oil.

Hey Pawned, "somewhere" in the factory manuals is a statement about towing. Been a long time. It's either in the index under towing, or back in the transmission section

In my Navy days, some guys welded an A833 near solid. There is not much in there "goin round" to throw the oil around. Maybe it was a little low as well. Anyhow, they were goin' from Fallon? I think to San Diego in the hot desert at who knows what crazy speed, and locked that ***** right up.

For what it is worth: My '62 FSM for both the Torqueflite 6 (A904) and Torqueflite 8 (A727) say you can "tow safely in neutral at moderate speeds. For long distance towing (over 100 miles) the propeller shaft should be removed." But this year's mechanical and hydraulic diagrams show the rear pump still being in at that time. Chrylser removed the rear pumps from their auto trannies at some time later; the A727 rear pump was gone in '66 so I assume was the case with the A904.

I have seen others manuals saying that towing to 50 miles is OK for some auto trannies; I believe this was the case for my 1970 C4 Ford. (No rear pump)

Yeh..........I would not go with a manual that old..........rear pump................

I know I meant don't go by a shop manual that old

Why not? It was put together at the same time the cars were. I would tend to rely on the information from a book written then than a book recently written.

I only towed it around the neighborhood and it tracked well. I would have gone farther but I kept thinking that if I screw up I will destroy both my care.

Attachments

• 20140803_114901[1].jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20140803_114916[1].jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 107
I talked to one of the local transmission shop about towing without removing the drive shaft. Other than the answer I have heard over and over, he had an idea off the top of his head.
It May be possible to fill the transmission full with oil. This was it will remained lubricated during a longer tow. The remove the excess oil before driving it.
Not a bad idea, but I am not going to try that

-
Back