Tracking a car by the license plate!

-

65dartcharger

Dart Charger 273 Historian
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have found a car that I'm interested in. Is it posible to track down the owner through the license plate number?
Any input is gladly appriciated

At least in Idaho a LEO is not supposed to go around "tracking" vehicles WITHOUT REASON

Maybe it's changed since I lived in Sweden but I recall the plate goes with the car in Sweden even after the car is sold to someone else? It really depends on licensing laws in the province/state/country you live in. Where I live now, the plate goes with who it was issued to originally and doesn't transfer to the new owner.

Last edited:
Not in the U.S., at least anywhere I've ever lived. New owner = new plate. New state = new plate.

-- Not in the U.S., at least anywhere I've ever lived. New owner = new plate. New state = new plate. --
-- In Pa. A "Antique Plate" can be transferred from one owner to another. -- Possibly "Vanity Plates", "Classic Plates", and others -- not sure about that.

General rule of thumb - If you see it advertised for sale, inquire.

Not for sale? Leave the owner be.

General rule of thumb - If you see it advertised for sale, inquire.

Not for sale? Leave the owner be.

I disagree. If you see the car parked somewhere, leave a note on it. If you don't get a response, then you leave them alone. I purchased a one-owner Malibu convertible this way back in the 80's.

I was driving an armored truck while attending college. Obviously, I could not get out and speak to the girl I saw in an ARCO. I was looking for someone to pose for the cover of a book I was writing (never got published). She had a huge smile and it was just what I had been looking for.

I went to the California DMV and paid a fee to have a message sent to the registered owner of the license plate of the car she was driving. Kind of a third party thing, where I was not given the address directly. Never heard back from the girl with the big smile (or the owner of the car, if it was someone else). At least I gave it the old college try.

This was a few years ago and I don't know if California DMV still offers this "service".

Not in the U.S., at least anywhere I've ever lived. New owner = new plate. New state = new plate.

I think you'll find this is not all true. WA state the plates stay with the car. "I think" CA is the same, I did not check.................

According to this, AK stays with car, also CA, Delaware, Michigan, I did not check further

Transfer of Plates - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

MN plates go with the car. Collector plates can stay with the owner if they want. Simple as take them off and let new owner register their own plates. Vanity plates can be kept also.

MN plates go with the car. Collector plates can stay with the owner if they want. Simple as take them off and let new owner register their own plates. Vanity plates can be kept also.
In PA, the plates stay with the owner no matter what type.

I think you'll find this is not all true. WA state the plates stay with the car. "I think" CA is the same, I did not check.................

According to this, AK stays with car, also CA, Delaware, Michigan, I did not check further

Transfer of Plates - AAA Digest of Motor Laws

In California the plates go with the car unless they’re vanity/collector/specialty plates of some kind. Basically, if the owner is paying additional registration for those specific plates they can keep them. Otherwise they go with the car.

As for getting owner info from the DMV from a plate number, not anymore. Used to be able to do it, but that changed a few years back for security reasons. LEO’s and some registered dealers etc can get that info within their own policies/procedures, but not a private citizen.

But again, it differs by state/province, so, that’s just California and a few others, not a nationwide standard.

-- In Pa. A "Antique Plate" can be transferred from one owner to another. -- Possibly "Vanity Plates", "Classic Plates", and others -- not sure about that.
Pa antique, classic or historical plates can transfer to new owner with release letter

-
Back