traction bars?

-
You can find some seriously fast Mopars running only a snubber, SS springs and a battery relocation.... That combo took me to mid 11s, wheels in the air off the line.

My snubber is about 1/8th" off the floor and I don't even notice it.

Now that went back to a street car Im running XHD springs and have the battery back under the hood. I have a fastback and can't fold down my trunk divider with the battery in the back.

Even with XHD springs and a snubber I can pull off 1.8 (it was 1.6 or 1.8 I can't remember), 60" times on E70-14 tires...

i think way to much. you could mount a little hydraulic jack on the snubber and hand pump in the car to turn the stop on or of easily

You can find some seriously fast Mopars running only a snubber, SS springs and a battery relocation.... That combo took me to mid 11s, wheels in the air off the line.

A lot of sub-11 second cards just use the SS springs, and skip the pinion snubber altogether!

i've never had any problems running 90/10's on the street, but i don't take corners fast either and i like running 15x3 1/2's too on the front, maybe it's just a personal preference.

i was planning on doing the spring relocation on my '74 and mini-tubbing it so i could run some good sized tires under it. i had bought the kit, but was having trouble finding a shop locally who was willing to do the work and who i could trust to do it right. with that set-up i was going to switch to the Super Stock springs

yea i like nice small wheels and tires on the fron- pizza cutters up front, chubbies out back...mine will be a street car, and i thought about the 90/10's, but never really asked to see if anyone uses them on the street...thanks for letting me know

with the 8 1/4 rear the snubber and spring clamps should more than enough for the power that the 8 1/4 rear end will handle if you go to more hp than the snubber and clamp will hold then the rear end will not handle the hp with out failing just my $.02 worth

There is also a setup from "Just Suspension" called "The Ground Pounder" it's basically a secondary shock setup that bolts to the frame and the axle to help eliminate whell hop and get better traction. Not sure how well it works, never seen anyone with it. I do know it's based on the same type of setup
4x4 guys have been using for years.

I went to the Just Suspension website to get a pic but i can't find anything on that system even though I've seen it in their back cover ads in Mopar mags.

I seen one of the mags put that set up on there car. I don't see the point of that setup myself when a set of S/S springs and a snubber works so well.

If you think about it, the adjustable pinion snubber takes the idea of slapper bars and just moves it to a different location. A carefully layed out set of slapper bars could accomplish many of the same goals - a randomly bolted on set intended for a Chevy won't. Chevies have symmetric rear leaf springs with a very flexy front section, while Mopars used a much more complex design (even if it looks deceptively simple). They have very different stiffness front to back, and any traction setup that you use has to work with the stiffness and not against it.

So a set of slapper bars could work OK if you took the time to carefully work out their mounting points. A set of well designed reinforcement bars on the front of the springs like Cal-Tracs can work. The real disaster is if you use the sort of traction bar with a bearing at each end and a bracket welded to the chassis. On a Chevy you can get away with that since the front end of the spring flexes so much, but on a Mopar you end up turning the suspension into a rigid triangle that binds up.

the thing i never liked about the pinion snubber is that when it's set on it's most effective setting it's right up against the floor nearly. cruising on the street it get's a bit "bumpy". if you drop it down for "daily" or street driving you lose it's advantage should the need arise. with the traction bars or even Cal-Trac's you are set on kill all the time. i don't know of any traction bars besides the Southside's and Cal-Trac's that are made specifically for Mopar applications. i didn't know about the slide-a-link bars, so i'm guessing they are made specifically for some Mopar's. there could also be an issue depending on how low you want your ride height to be with what will work under your car. the Southsides have a certain angle built into them and are slightly adjustable for pre-load with some spacers or shims that go between the front of the bar and the spring. with the Cal-Trac's it looks like you can go quite low and they will still work effectively. the pinion snubber needs a certain amount of space to work and move. i've never run Super Stock springs, but i have heard that they do increase ride height some. maybe someone else here has some input there. i do agree on the 6-cyl torsion bars, but i prefer to mix them with a set of 90/10's. and yes i do drive it on the street that way. it's not a problem for me, but could be for others[/QUOTE

Not sure if the mopar ones work the same or not but on a 69 amx I had , the traction bar snubbers needed to be moved up to touch the springs when I was at the track and backed off for every day driving ,so on those there was no set to kill all the time setting,, only benifit was you never had to crawl under the car to set them.

1977 Dodge Aspen r/t ..I ran air shocks, 3;91's sure-grip 8 3/4 , 1968 stock motor,tnt 440 w/six pack set up, stock exhaust manifold through the mufflers, 3500 stall, reverse manual valve body...13.45 1/4 mile times w/radials
75-80 Dragway. fun car. hooked up better w/radials then slicks...

the typical "slapper" bars are not much good unless they are adjusted so the rubber bumper or snubber is close to the the spring or in contact with it at all times. Competition Engineering has the bars with the "J" hooks that allow you to adjust the pre-load on the bars for this, ran them on all my leaf sprung Chevy's. this matters little to Mopar performance, but can maybe help some to understand why they are used on "other" cars. i stand by my choice of the Southside bars on my cars, they work and work well. i do remember quite alot of Mopar's having slapper type traction bars on them that i saw cruising the streets, probably the lame universal fit Lakewoods that were pretty cheap. it's nice in this era to have the 'net to come looking for advice and guidance, it wasn't always like that!

i think it's awesome that there are some Mopar's on Super Stock springs and pinion snubbers that can stand it up on the rear bumper and pull some seriously quick times, show me another "brand" that can do that.

I run SS springs and no snubber, M/T Sportman Pros with over 400 HP and a 4:10 spool rear. It just hooks and goes, no real amount of spinning and no wheel hop. That's in a 72 Demon.

Jack

-
Back