Votes: 4 16.7%
  • idkkk

Votes: 4 16.7%

• Total voters
-

shaggy

Reaction score
im not sure

is that okay if i use yellow robe to tow my car to auto shop? no pulling over ticket?

If the wheels are rolling on the road then the car needs to be registered (an insured if it's required). As long as there is a licensed driver in the car being towed to steer and brake can't see why towing with a rope would be an issue.

I have done it dozens of times over the years.

BIG ticket to tow with a rope/chain here in Nebraska.
Their reasoning is the person in the towed car has no time to respond in an emergency stopping situation, which, technically, is true.
Then there's the power brake/power steering issue which also compounds the safety issue.

All that being said, I'm not immune to "lead" towing in a time of need, either. :D

Mark.

Why don't you call the police dept/highway patrol/dmv to find out if it is legal or not if you are concerned about it? Also, you might be able to get a one day moving pass from DMV. I don't know if this would include towing it by rope but again, you can ask.

In the City ? I dont know if the cops will like it, Then again they may just look the other way,

Shaggy, I would use the tow ropes and while in tow, write in big letters on the back windsheild, "In Tow" with the harzzards flashing.

Your car, though in tow would have to be leagaly plated and insured. Also, technicalllly speaking, also a good inspection sticker. Though a decent cop would let it go, we know sometimes New Yorks coppers just ticket to ticket. Redundant tickets as well as B.S. one like bald tires will be added by the scumbagger cop.

Best time to tow would be after traffic calms down and do it slowly and under the speed limit. Going far from Jackson heights? Side street the path as much as possible.

Hey, i've pulled many cars in queens. Even took a 70 cuda all stripped out with a milk carton for a seat and no windshield on the grand central parkway, from hollis to howard beach, getting pulled. that car actually had a front brake fire, pulled it over on woodhaven blvd, the fire dept came and assisted putting it out (with cops) and i still didnt get a ticket or even a talking to. Matter of fact they were more interested in what i was gonna do to the car that anything else.
I do however suggest to at least have insurance. Although i was never asked or ever pulled over.
Car in tow in back window and flashing lights.

Hey! Miller place, wuzzzzzzzzzzzzz up?!?!?!?!

I have an adjustable tow bar. I love it it works great used it to move my 68. I pulled the bumper made a bracket to go between the bumper mounts and bolted it to that worked well other then my bracket being to flimsy(1/8" flat steel so it should have been a given)

A tow dolly is cheaper than a ticket! A car trailer is even better.
Towing with a rope is dangerous. A couple of blocks maybe OK but no farther.

This make's me think of the American Chopper episode where Mikey get's towed to the dealership in his beater.:toothy10:

Rent a tow dolly......no reason to risk beaten the car up or a ticket

Can I purchase a tow dolly somewhere? And how much are they? Need to be reggied and insured?

It will depending on the car with u-haul and the tow dolly. I have never inquired about towing an a-body but they wouldnt rent me one for my b-body (69 GTX). The first thing they asked was what kind of car are you towing. That was in Florida.

Rent one at U-haul or similar. Where I live they dont need to be reg'd, but I bet a rented one would be reg'd

Semi helpful since renting wasn't the question. A purchase of one was.

Some of the private ones I've seen around here are registered and insured. Should be able to contact local trailer dealership or RV dealership and find out about price and availability.

the trick when renting a tow dolly from uhaul is to tell them your pulling a K car :toothy10:

my dad did that when we towed the duster we got home. youll probaly be allright flat towing if your not in the city and you dont go far.

Can I purchase a tow dolly somewhere? And how much are they? Need to be reggied and insured?

The joint where I got my trailer has them... Truckloaders in Smithtown. There's also a trailer place in Coram (near where the 6th precinct used to be), I think they sell dolly's too. Don't know the name of that place, though.

Also look in the Newsday classifieds, I see them in there every once in a while for like $3-400.

the trick when renting a tow dolly from uhaul is to tell them your pulling a K car :toothy10:

my dad did that when we towed the duster we got home. youll probaly be allright flat towing if your not in the city and you dont go far.

What they don't know want hurt 'em. They've even tightened up on trailers. They say my Ramcharger won't pull an M-body, but will the A-body, the E-Body won't fit on either the dolly or the trailer (too wide), the J-body they say is heavier than the M-bod, and forget the '54 Ford. And the killer is, they rented me a tow dolly to pull the M-bod once in the past. So when it comes time to pull and get 'em all situated they all turn into a K-car. Screw it, I'll pay a buddy of mine with a rollback a few bucks and have him shuffle 'em around. Two car deck with an axle lift. .

Hey, i've pulled many cars in queens. Even took a 70 cuda all stripped out with a milk carton for a seat and no windshield on the grand central parkway, from hollis to howard beach, getting pulled.

You just gave me a flash-back to the late 70's. I was being pulled in a dead Mazda station wagon by a VW bus on the Southern State Pkwy. headed out to the old Roosevelt Raceway auction. There was about 3' of rope between us.

Did I mention the lead driver was afraid and he was doing 80 MPH?
:angry7:

You just gave me a flash-back to the late 70's. I was being pulled in a dead Mazda station wagon by a VW bus on the Southern State Pkwy. headed out to the old Roosevelt Raceway auction. There was about 3' of rope between us.

Did I mention the lead driver was afraid and he was doing 80 MPH? :angry7:

That sounds like an E Ticket ride at Disney........to complete the 70's flashback.:-D

-
Back