trailer feedback

-

Alberto

Reaction score
Hello All!!!!
For you trailer users, I am getting ready to purchase an enclosed trailer and want some feedback from owners. 24 foot trailers seem to be the norm for hauling most cars. I currently have "A" bodies but will someday end up with my Road Runner. A racer friend had a 24 but said he wished he got a 28 foot. The 24's are quite a bit less in price and I just don't see the extra expense for a 28 foot, for 4 feet of space. Not to mention the extra towing hassle??? I plan to travel to shows, maybe race a little for fun, so other than a golf cart or scooter and a few tools, I don't need much room for stuff.
Any suggestions, comments, etc., is much appreciated...
Hope everyone enjoyed their Thanksgiving!!!
THX..AL

It ads to the price, but having 6,000 lb axles with 16" tires is good added insurance. Always get a little more than you "think" you'll need. You can compromise with a 26', Some cabinets & wall racks will help keep things organized.

Unless you want to carry a full work bench... 24 is plenty of room..
talladegaorbust2019 168.JPG
talladegaorbust2019 122.JPG
talladegaorbust2019 194.JPG
talladegaorbust2019 199.JPG

I was looking at 20ft enclosed till i realized that just about any car in it would get very near the total weight rating, way too close for comfort. I think a 24 ft is ideal, not too big, but big enough. I second the bigger axles and wheels!
Your lucky being in Florida. A 24 footer on your end is half the price of the same trailer on the west coast.

If you plan on hauling a golf cart, you will need more than a 24. I’ve had a 26’ a 28’ and a 24’. With a scooter a 26’ is good. Golf cart at least a 28’. I always special ordered mine with 5200 Lb axles.

Your lucky being in Florida. A 24 footer on your end is half the price of the same trailer on the west coast.
Not to mention he can get one with a flat roof because you never get solid rain

Oh... and buy a spread axle, you'll absolutely love the tow ! Don't forget the left hand escape door!
talladegaorbust2019 110.JPG

..and make sure you latch your flip flap ! They make a hell of a mess when they swing forward and worse when the screws let go !
2018-10-15 001 013.JPG

I have a 9900 gvw 24ft trailer. Car and a quad fit nice going to track. Better brakes and tires. My only wish on next trailer is 16” wheels. Honestly the taller the tire the slower they turn. I drive fast and 15” wheels tend to be hard on the tires at 70mph. Don’t ask how I know. Lol! Escape door and spread axle is awesome for those who have it. Also, no decals- thieves look for trailers that say what the contents are! Lock that puppy up! AND I recommend air bags for the back of the truck. Keeping the hitch at the correct angle makes towing not only safer but less wear on the pull vehicle.
CDAECBF9-5DA2-4964-A7D4-3DBC942E8E18.jpeg

Ive seen them really hooked up at weekend events. A fold down sleeping platform up front. Portable AC or fan and the Honda whisper quiet portable generator purring outside while u relax inside.
I wish I had a place to keep one.

I forgot to ad an extra safety feature I like.....In addition to the door latches that have 2 locks in them, I added the swing bar on the side doors that lock with a padlock and also cover the door handles/latches for a double layer of protection. Ramp doors usually have a latch/lock on each side. Don't go cheap on padlocks, which can be keyed alike all around, including for the tongue latch. Add a locking ball lock/insert too. (Brain isn't registering the proper terminologies this morning.)

I've run 2, 24' trailers over the years. Hauled A bodies with 2 harley dressers,yep the all fit.B bodies,and even C bodies.Side escape door is a must. I agree to up grade to 16'' tires and at least 5,000 lbs axles.

Big brakes and axles. Dont buy on price....there are a bunch of low dollar trailer builders in Fl/Ga that have crap for quality... Chinese axles, thin aluminum, non skilled workers building them.

I used to haul Dexter axles and pre fab'd x members to various trailer mfgs. Some of the crap they produce is criminal. If a certain trailer is $2k cheaper there is a reason.

Big brakes and axles. Dont buy on price....there are a bunch of low dollar trailer builders in Fl/Ga that have crap for quality... Chinese axles, thin aluminum, non skilled workers building them.

I used to haul Dexter axles and pre fab'd x members to various trailer mfgs. Some of the crap they produce is criminal. If a certain trailer is $2k cheaper there is a reason.

THANK YOU to all for the great information !!!! Many things that I didn't think about.. I have seen those "low dollar" guys and I did figure they were selling cheap, poorly made products.... Good thing is I can take my time and research the manufacturers. I don't need the trailer tomorrow.. THANK YOU AGAIN !!!

-
Back