Trailer Suspension Problems

-

Brad426

Reaction score
Have a look at the pictures and tell me what is going on with my car hauler trailer suspension. My car is on it and it is level, Tire preasure is all correct and the same. It's about 7 years old. Thanks

Attachments

• P5050008.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 443
  • P5050009.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 397
Are you saying that "something has changed?"

Looks to me like it's doing exactly what it's supposed to --it evidently has more weight on the front, and so the walking beam has moved because

Equalizer hitch?

Have you added a big storage box/ spare tire to the front of the trailer

Is the car loaded EXACTLY like you always do? You gone to a BB engine?

Did you try moving it around a little to a "more level" area?

EDIT Just realized I was looking at the REAR. In any case, what has changed?

in the first picture the left tires looks low...

Maybe needs some lubrication...are you sure everything is moving freely.

The tire was low in the picture but, I pimped it up and it did not change much

I googled "pimped tire" and the only thing I could find is.............

tires.jpg

Oh man....there is just so much wrong with that, I don't where to start!!

I hope that's a ticket under the w/s wiper for "3rd degree eye slaughter"!!

I think I'm going to give it a once over twice. Maybe replace or re-arc the springs. It does change the center balance beam a bit by adjusting tire preasure but, I think the tire preasure in all 4 should be the same. I would mind a bit more hight anyway.

Also in the first picture you'll notice that the right tire is closer to the fender than the left one. So that would make sense that that one would be 'cocked' a little. Is the other side of the trailer tires on an even surface?

I don't think you have a problem! I just went out and looked at 3 we have at work and they all are the same! If the equilizer was straight the leaf springs would fight each other, In the position you pictured one spring end pivots up and the other pivots down. I am wondering if this is normal. I am also looking forward to more opinions/views from any experts.

You don't show a full shot of the car on the trailer but from what I can see it looks like the car is too far forward on the trailer putting more weight on one of the axles.

I beleve there is too much weight on the front axle that is why the equilizer is doing that move the car back a little [just a few inches adds or removes tongue weight] tongue weight should be 6-10 percent of the gross load of the package [car/trailer combination]. I would go over the suspension/brakes to ensure the items are safe and in working order bearings should be checked/repacked at least once a year [more if used regularly]. I work for one of the largest [boat] trailer manufacturer in the southeast in the service/parts department,been doing this for 16 years so i would say i'm an experianced trailer mechanic.

Thanks everyone. Yesterday I took every nut and bolt out, cleaned, lubricatred and installed. I did notice that the plastic bushings looked worn so, I'll replace them at a later date as well as the bolts. It measures eye to eye on the springs ...25". Cleaned, packed & adjusted all wheel bearings, adjusted the brakes & tested.

One strange thing I found was that the bolts were all really tight. Tight enough to "pinch" the spring eyes and center piviot. I made sure nothing was binding.

I'll adjust the car position and let you know. BTW all tires are a 32 PSI now.

Stand-By One :hello2:

Attachments

• P5060001.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 293
  • P5060003.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 287
If all four springs are a matched set that have the same leaves (number, length, and arch), spring eye to spring length, arch, and load rating, all the tires have the same exact diameter, all four outside mounting points are the same distance from the ground and the spring eye to spring eye distance of all the springs is the same, then the rockers should be level. If you have worn bushings that allow the distance between the springs eyes to vary, then the rockers are not going to sit level. If your spring eye mountings are on brackets hanging below the frame (yours are) and the brackets have bent or skewed, the rockers are not going to sit level. If all four tires are not the same diameter, the rockers are not going to set level.

If you have a pair of springs that have been replaced at a different time, even if they are exact replacements, the older pair may flatten out more and tilt the rockers. Now that you have lubed and adjusted yours and both your rockers appear to be tilted about the same in the last picture, that just might be the case here if the trailer isn't tilted front to rear and all the outside spring eyes are the same distance from the ground.

I've got a Bulldog tilt trailer and several years ago I was on a road trip that took me past their factory. I stopped in and bought a bushing/rocker kit from them. Apparently the trailer manufacturers (at least some) consider the rocker to be a wear item as much as the bushings and sell a complete kit with them included. They recommended that I lube the bushes with waterproof boat grease and check for bushing and rocker wear periodically, at least once or twice a year even if I'm not using it much.

Probably wouldn't hurt to check the wheel bearings for adjustment and lube them at the same time.

I have worked for Uhaul for the last 35 years and it has been my experience that when one of or both of the equalizers freeze up ,in which inyour case you said one was. it will make the trailer springs appear to be arced out, If you free up the equalizers and change any bushings that are worn , you should be fine. while you are at it check to see if you have any cracked leafs in your springs,
Good luck with it.

Bob

-
Back