Trailer Winch Suggestions

-

demon34071

FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get a winch for my 18ft open trailer so I can move my cars easier when its just me loading and unloading them. Problem is I know nothing about winches nor any clue as to what weight of one to etc.

I only use the trailer for my cars or when I am picking up a parts car. Dusters/Demons/Darts etc usually not running but complete with drive train.

Can anyone give me some suggestions?

When I had my Jeep, I almost went with one from Harbor freight. I got to thinkin about it. the thing is, when you need a winch, you NEED a winch. You don't need some cheap *** chinese piece of crappola to let you down. I bought a Warn M8000. It was a nice one. I am sure though there are much less costly units that will work for you since you won't be winchin somethin outta the mud. Still though, I would try to stick with a good name brand, made in USA with a good warranty.

I used a 3000lb winch in my enclosed trailer last year. It was a cheap ($75.00) one from Harbor Frt.
We used it every race for loading & unloading. My car weighs 2750lbs.
By the end of the season, it wasn't working very well.
I will be replacing it with a bigger unit. I do love having one.

stroker -- That's my issue, this just needs to be able to pull up onto my trailer. Everyone I seem to talk to talks as if I am putting it on the front of my truck looking to pull it out of a mud bog. Not the case. Just need to be able to pull my buddies duster bib block race car or my cars on and off my trailer or a parts car. weight wise maybe 3500 lbs? Maybe, no clue if less will pull up a car or not?

If it was for the front bumper of my truck like you used on your jeep you could be certain it would be an easy answer 10,000# Warn -- I just can't see spending a $1000 for a trailer winch I will use maybe 6 times a year and won't be pulling more than a car up the trailer ramps.

Anyone else with trailers have any thoughts?

I used a 3000lb winch in my enclosed trailer last year. It was a cheap ($75.00) one from Harbor Frt.
We used it every race for loading & unloading. My car weighs 2750lbs.
By the end of the season, it wasn't working very well.
I will be replacing it with a bigger unit. I do love having one.

I have been looking at the 3500#ATV winch at Harbor Freight (its like $100 on sale at times, but have no clue how if it will pull enough. What are you planning on replacing (bigger) with??

stroker -- That's my issue, this just needs to be able to pull up onto my trailer. Everyone I seem to talk to talks as if I am putting it on the front of my truck looking to pull it out of a mud bog. Not the case. Just need to be able to pull my buddies duster bib block race car or my cars on and off my trailer or a parts car. weight wise maybe 3500 lbs? Maybe, no clue if less will pull up a car or not?

If it was for the front bumper of my truck like you used on your jeep you could be certain it would be an easy answer 10,000# Warn -- I just can't see spending a $1000 for a trailer winch I will use maybe 6 times a year and won't be pulling more than a car up the trailer ramps.

Anyone else with trailers have any thoughts?

I understand and that's not how I meant it at all. What I meant was, if you get a cheaper one, you better get two and carry one in your tool box. That's all. Oh, and I caught my Warn on sale at Winchdepot.com for 499 and free shippin. Warn makes lighter duty units.

I understand and that's not how I meant it at all. What I meant was, if you get a cheaper one, you better get two and carry one in your tool box. That's all. Oh, and I caught my Warn on sale at Winchdepot.com for 499 and free shippin. Warn makes lighter duty units.

That's what I have heard about the cheaper units is that if they are that cheap keep a spare in the truck. LOL -- Thanks for the website site!

That's what I have heard about the cheaper units is that if they are that cheap keep a spare in the truck. LOL -- Thanks for the website site!

Anytime. They run hellacious sales every now and then. You need to check from time to time.

I had one of those cheap utilitly winches on my 18 open trailer. It didn't last one summer before the clutch went bad. I threw it away and plan on getting a new one this spring. I was looking at a Super Winch utilitly model, you can get them from Amazon.com pretty reasonable.

Demon,
I bought a Warn 3500# (I think) 5 years ago when I got my enclosed trailer. I pretty much need to use it to load and unload the cars. I got it through Summit and I think it may have been about $300 at that time. It also has a 25' remote control. It has served me well with all three cars. The Mustang is the heaviest at 3750 and the Comet is the lightest at 2800. L8r.

Jim

Warn 3500 is what myself and 2 other buddies use on our car trailers. Fact is I keep 1 extra for my open trailer. This trailer and winch are used for hauling race cars, junkers or parts cars, trucks and anything else we come across. My buddy and I do a lot of parts scrounging.

You can also get a snatch block to cut the pulling force in half . That takes twice the cable but is an option to think about .

I bought one of those HF one's , wow what a piece of crap !! If you take the controller apart the realy's are just 30 amp regular auto style .

Steve

I have a "Mile Marker" 9500 lb winch on my trailer. I have beat the snot out of it winching dead cars, non rollers, no suspension, brakes froze, cars frozen to the ground etc. It has never let me down. I use a snatch block and double the cable back for easier pulling. Their customer service is beyond fantastic and the price is half of a Warn. It's 5 yrs old now and still pulls strong. I also use it almost every weekend.

my buddy has had 2 warn on his trailer and just didnt last for him..no downing them just saying..

I have been looking at the 3500#ATV winch at Harbor Freight (its like $100 on sale at times, but have no clue how if it will pull enough. What are you planning on replacing (bigger) with??

I'm going to at least double the capicty

I bought a cheap one I haven't mounted yet. But, my plan is to just keep my cheap come along with the truck when I use it. I used that $20 come along to load three old cars that were stuck in some pretty crappy locations and it works fine, so It'll be good for backup.

I've had a 2000 or 3000 pound HF one for about6 years. best $40 I've spent on a winch. The controller handle deal just went out. Pull a C body on my trailer with a frozen front drum...

HF has a 3000# camo one with a remote on sale for $59. Use a 20% off coupon and that's about $49

You don't need a 9500# winch to pull a car on a trailer.

[QUOTE

You don't need a 9500# winch to pull a car on a trailer.[/QUOTE]

And you don't need a hemi to power your Mopar, but if the price is right why not opt for the power? I had two of those cheap $100 winches and they did work.....for awhile. My $490 Mile Marker has been abused for over 5 yrs and still gets the job done, fast. And you really have to experience their customer service. It's top notch and nice to speak to someone who understands english.

[QUOTE

You don't need a 9500# winch to pull a car on a trailer.

And you don't need a hemi to power your Mopar, but if the price is right why not opt for the power? I had two of those cheap $100 winches and they did work.....for awhile. My $490 Mile Marker has been abused for over 5 yrs and still gets the job done, fast. And you really have to experience their customer service. It's top notch and nice to speak to someone who understands english.[/QUOTE]

Where did you buy yours?
Dallas

-
Back