Trailering to a race in freezing temperatures

-

-Boosted-

Hard Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I’m heading to Vegas for a race in 4 days. Weather forecast show freezing temperatures on our way there and we plan on stopping in Utah for the night where it’s supposed to drop to 25 degrees. The car will be in an enclosed trailer but it isn’t insulated and I’m worried that my coolant will freeze. I’m thinking about draining it before I load the trailer and filling with antifreeze for the trip and do the reverse when we get there, and then doing it again when we make the trip back home but that just seems like a huge pain in the ***, not to mention the mess we will make trying to do that 1200 miles from home, at a racetrack that probably won’t be too happy about us draining antifreeze in the pits.

What are my options? Who has travelled in freezing temps with their race cars before and what did you do to protect your engine/radiator?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Drain it if you are that worried.
Inclosed trailer will maintain some heat but freezing is an issue.
We in New England are dealing with 10f right now. If antifreeze is good it’s good to -34 typically. If you are running straight water then drain it.

An empty system can't freeze.
If you are going to drain it,, why fill it with antifreeze? Just leave it empty and fill it with what you took out when you get there. No antifreeze issue in the pits.

No need to fill with antifreeze for a trailer ride, just drain.
The concern is the water expanding when freezing and cracking your block. No water=no expansion

I type slower than ragtop

I reason I was thinking of putting some antifreeze in it is because I can’t completely drain everything easily. Draining radiator gets about half the system drained. Running the electric pump gets about half of what’s left and pulling block plugs isn’t easy to do without a lift but even that doesn’t get everything out does it?

Also, what about for the trip home? Should I drain and dispose new race coolant?

Drain it and fill with antifreeze, as stated you can't get all the water out of the water jackets. I broke one block from freezing, I'll never do that again! 65'

Just remove the block drain plugs.,you can replace them with drain valves/peacocks.

I put a petcock in both drain plugs in the engine block. Then I use a 36 inch 3/8 extension to reach down between the header tubes to push on the wings and spin them open and closed. A long with the one in the bottom of the radiator gets enough water out that I have never had a problem with the little bit of water that's left since the mid 1980's. Now I will say that my garage is not heated , but it is attached to the house with a room over it so it does get some radiant heat form the house. This morning it was below 0* outside and the garage is 35*, cold but nothing freezing. Hope this helps for your decision on which way to go.

No need to fill with antifreeze for a trailer ride, just drain.
The concern is the water expanding when freezing and cracking your block. No water=no expansion

I type slower than ragtop
Problem is completely draining would be a pain in the *** right now since the car is completely put together and ready to load on the trailer.

An empty system can't freeze.
If you are going to drain it,, why fill it with antifreeze? Just leave it empty and fill it with what you took out when you get there. No antifreeze issue in the pits.
I understand an empty system can't freeze. It's getting it completely empty easily that's the problem. The car is completely put together and ready to load on the trailer.

I just went through this Bill with the recent weather lol. I spent last Saturday jammed in my trailer taking out the block plugs to drain the coolant, definitely a game of twister!. If possible do what what has been said and pull the block plugs (leave the system empty) then replace with petcocks etc. for easy access.

I understand an empty system can't freeze. It's getting it completely empty easily that's the problem. The car is completely put together and ready to load on the trailer.

At this point technically it’s a street car right??? Put some antifreeze in it like every other “street car”. Lol

Do
I’m heading to Vegas for a race in 4 days. Weather forecast show freezing temperatures on our way there and we plan on stopping in Utah for the night where it’s supposed to drop to 25 degrees. The car will be in an enclosed trailer but it isn’t insulated and I’m worried that my coolant will freeze. I’m thinking about draining it before I load the trailer and filling with antifreeze for the trip and do the reverse when we get there, and then doing it again when we make the trip back home but that just seems like a huge pain in the ***, not to mention the mess we will make trying to do that 1200 miles from home, at a racetrack that probably won’t be too happy about us draining antifreeze in the pits.

What are my options? Who has travelled in freezing temps with their race cars before and what did you do to protect your engine/radiator?

Thanks in advance,
Bill
You have time to get some Evan's waterless coolant. NHRA said it's tracked approved. I would run just enough antifreeze to keep my block from cracking. Like what was said what about all the steering cars that race on the track with antifreeze. Also they said it's good to -40 degrees

Evans coolant

Screenshot_20240124_072008_Google.jpg

Well, I decided to drain the radiator and pull the block plugs which turned out to be not so bad. I’ll fill with water when we get to the track and drain it before we leave to come home.

Thanks for all the replies.

IMG_2270.jpeg

-
Back