tranny cross member

-

1966gtdartman

Reaction score
Hey guys lookingfor some info on a trans cross member for a 66 a body dart that Im looking to put dual exaust in with the 318. I am pull the org s6 in the spring any info would be great

Here's a quick picture I just took. Both are for an early A. The top one is a stock cross member with the cut-out on the driver's side. The bottom one is one I modified with a cut-out on the passenger side so the right side exhaust pipe will tuck up close to the body like the driver's side.

Edit:The perspective of the camera shot makes the bottom one like wider than the top one - both fit my 65 Dart perfectly when test fitted.

Attachments

• Transmission Crossmember 002.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 214
Welcome to the wonderful world of early A's. These cars were designed for 6 cylinder engines only and when you put in a V8 there are obstacles to deal with. You have 4 options for your dilemma. You can run stock V8 single exhaust, run the passenger side exhaust under the existing crossmember, you can buy a crossmember that has been modified for dual exhaust, or you can modify the one you have. The modification isn't that hard to do but you need a welder and a way to cut and shape the metal you have. There are at least a couple of threads here about the process that I know of. If you don't have the tools needed, put up an ad here and try to find one that has been modified or try eBay. They show up there occasionally. I can't say for sure that there is a company that turns these out but a Google search may turn up something. Good luck with your hunt.....

I was doing that conversion for a while, but couldn't get anybody to send me their cores, even though I offered another $10.00 off my already low, low price!! At one time I had a couple dozen done but sold them all to members here through the years!! Geof

Go to the TTI web site. You'll find they have a modifacation outed as well as they sell a medified cross member.

[ame]http://ttiexhaust.com/PDF/SheetCMR0506-Crossmbr.pdf[/ame]

They do a pretty nice modification, neater looking than mine. The guy who installed my duals modified my crossmember in about five minutes and accomplished the same thing as that $100.00 job from TTI. It's not as pretty, but the guy didn't even charge me for the mod. He DID charge for the duals!

When I do my next one, I'm taking that photo to a welding shop. I would bet they won't charge that much.

ATB

BC

I thought about doing the cut someday, until I read here that Chrysler tested a full dual exhaust and found it gave less HP than their 4 bbl single to dual plumbing. You can find posts showing the factory HiPo exhaust here.

The small diameter single exhaust the 64ragtop came with made a sound I can best describe as "WWwwiissshhhh". As in "I wish I didn't sound so wimpy."

The dual 2 1/4" pipes off hp manifolds through flowmasters sound a whole heck of a lot better and the butt dyno says it's very good. As far as actual before and after numbers, I didn't get any. I just like the way my car sounds now a lot better than before. And, I like the twin stainless 'Cuda exhaust tips.

No doubt a well planned single system can make power, and my current project will need an exhaust pretty soon. It's a /6, so just one pipe.

ATB

BC

Unfortunatly, the Accurate Hipo exhaust is about $900 I believe, and even with the X-member conversion and a good local shop to run duals, you'll be way ahead pricewise!! Geof

-
Back