tranny leak

-

trudysduster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
can someone tell me if they have ever used the Lucas 10009 tranny fix in their tranny to stop a input shaft seal leak. It says that it will completely soften the seal and stop a leak. I have replaced the factory pan with a Summit deep aluminum pan and used a lube locker gasket on this 904 and I still have this leak. It is not the dipstick o ring, Cant be the pan or gasket and it puddles about the size of a coffee cup over several days.I am thinking it has to be the seal. It is dripping off the front of the pan. This car has not been driven much in the last 2 years due to things going on. Matter of fact I dont think it has been driven at all in the past 2 years since I had it down to Cruisin the Coast in 2021. It never leaked before now so I am thinking of using this Lucas treatment and hope it softens the seal up.

If the leak is from physical damage like a tear, there's no hope, unless you replace the seal. I generally don't use stop leak products, but if you think there's a chance, I guess go for it.

If the leak is from physical damage like a tear, there's no hope, unless you replace the seal. I generally don't use stop leak products, but if you think there's a chance, I guess go for it.
I dont think the seal is torn..I havent driven this car in 2 years. I have been putting up a new house and a new garage and havent had time. Before that I never had a leak at all so that is why I think the seal has shrank but I didnt want to take a chance on using something that could hurt the tranny. Lucas has a pretty good reputation with their products and this product states it will stop a seal from leaking. I just thought someone on here has tried it. Thanks Rusty

I dont think the seal is torn..I havent driven this car in 2 years. I have been putting up a new house and a new garage and havent had time. Before that I never had a leak at all so that is why I think the seal has shrank but I didnt want to take a chance on using something that could hurt the tranny. Lucas has a pretty good reputation with their products and this product states it will stop a seal from leaking. I just thought someone on here has tried it. Thanks Rusty
They do....and if I was to try one it would be a Lucas product. I have tried their engine oil stop leak and it seems to work well.

Have tried the Lucas Trans stop leak to no avail.

Here is a thought, but have never tried.

Take 1/8" flat washers and place 1 between each torque converter tab and the flex plate mount bolt area.

This will push the torque converter back 1/8" and gain you a new unworn area for the front trans seal to ride on.

May be worth a try before trying the stop leak additives.

☆☆☆☆☆

If you haven't driven it in 2 years, stop leak isn't going to do a thing unless you start driving it. The seal could also soften up a bit by itself if you start driving it again. The main point is that just sitting is hard on a car... you need to get it out occasionally and limber it up.
Not trying to be a wiseguy, but if you don't intend to drive it any time soon, just put a drain pan under it for now.

Don't use the Lucas, it is a seal softener, it might stop it for a while but it don't know when to quit and you will be pulling the trans out to reseal it in a short order meaning not only the front seal but all the rubber in the trans.
Are you sure it's not the case lever seal at the shifter leaking, that is the most common leak in a trans from sitting.

I don't add seal softener for repairs. Unfortunately, you need to diagnose the problem first. A converter seal if leaking will be running down the bell housing and back to drip off the pan gasket, do you find any fluid in the bell housing?
I despise fluid leaks on my cars due to what my mom's driveway looked like after my brother and I did to it back in the day, everybody has their own idea how to diagnose a leak it can take some time.

Not a hope in hell. I have shown how to change both seals here on my 69 Dart without dropping the pan. I'd help more but I'm at camp with limited signal and data only. Hit my name, find threads by, and read!

This seal sat for a few years. Worked for a few hundred miles then bam

blower seal.jpg

Check the manual select shaft seal. It can run down the front of the case. And as Terror touched on, the kickdown rod runs through the manual select and there's a little seal there too.

Check the manual select shaft seal. It can run down the front of the case. And as Terror touched on, the kickdown rod runs through the manual select and there's a little seal there too.
I had to replace my select shaft seal 10 years ago, it was leaving a puddle sitting overnight when the torque converter drain down.

"Tranny leak" sounds like really bad Jerry Springer episode.

I'll share same issue at different place... My 67 273 has sat and still sits since covid 19. I noticed the seal at power steering pump shaft behind the pulley had developed a drip, good amount of the fluid gone. I went ahead and kit renewed an extra pump I had here. I had poured some brand of (I forget) leak stop or leak prevent fluid that I had here in the "leaker onboard" just to drive it around some, fresh gas, etc... Lo and behold, the leak stopped.
During this past weekend I corrected a fuel delivery problem and fired her up again after at least 2 years of sitting. The p/s pump is still full and dry on the outside today.
My point, leak stop in anything is always a gamble. Feeling lucky?

Have tried the Lucas Trans stop leak to no avail.

Here is a thought, but have never tried.

Take 1/8" flat washers and place 1 between each torque converter tab and the flex plate mount bolt area.

This will push the torque converter back 1/8" and gain you a new unworn area for the front trans seal to ride on.

May be worth a try before trying the stop leak additives.

☆☆☆☆☆
I don't know if 1/8" (.125) is a good plan. Those are short bolts before giving up that much engagement. May be a plan if 1/8" longer bolts are added.

-
Back