Tranny linkage help

-

67ragtop

Reaction score
The large lever on the transmission that the stock shifter linkage slides into has a welded extension. The car does not manually shift right. I bought a used arm at the nats and will install tomorrow. Is there a proper way to adjust the linkage? I had my brother start in park and work the shifter down to first and then tightened the bolt to the proper length on shifter rod or so I thought. I have park. Reverse is either reverse or nuetral. Drive only works all the way down in first. Any ideas?

Is that what happening with the new arm or the old arm? I could understand it acting squirrely with the old arm since you say it has an extension welded on it but a stock length arm should work fine. And you adjusted it like I do for which I don't have any problems.

Old arm. I have not put new one on because I am trying to figure out suspension problem in my tire thread. This car is testing my nerves..

I always set them up in neutral. If you are talking floor shifter the drop rod through the floor shouldn't move around much. You do have both upper and lower support with bushing in it ?

I put new arms on tonight. The problem is that with the nuetral safety switch in the shifter rod is binding up against it. I have the adjustment on the rod itself the type that slides up and down the rod like a 70 model. The adjuster is not on the shifter rod that comes through the floor like you see on 66-68 models.

Are the rods all original pieces ? The final rod on your 67 should have a couple of bends in it and also have that adjusting block with a screw through the side of it. The lower support bolted to the trans that the drop rod turns in comes in 2 different lengths for 904 and 727. That could be the problem.
A pic would help.

Here's a pic.

sept 1 09 004.jpg

Redfish, The transmission is out of a truck. I had a complete rebuild and changed the tail shaft etc. Is there any difference between car and truck 727? I had to switch from a 1 pin to 3 pin nuetral safety switch. Any ideas?

There are some differences in the rooster comb which is what engages into the neutral switch. Sometimes it'll bind up when you switch from a 1 pin to a 3 pin switch. As far as any other differences between a car and truck the only diff would be on the extension housing the car trans has 2 eyelets to bolt a shifter bracket too and the truck doesn't. If you have a column shifter these eyelets aren't needed. I'd try putting the old switch back into it and see if it works. May just be the rooster comb jamming up against the switch.

I think this piece might be the problem . They say there is a difference in this part for 904 or 727. I never never layed one from each side by side for comparison.
transshiftangles2.jpg

transshiftlayout01.jpg

I am going to measure that piece tomorrow. For now I turned the linkage upside down from the way I had it. Adjusting bolt on top and cotter pins to the ground. It now clears the nuetral safety switch.Did I have it mounted wrong to begin with?

I am going to measure that piece tomorrow. For now I turned the linkage upside down from the way I had it. Adjusting bolt on top and cotter pins to the ground. It now clears the nuetral safety switch.Did I have it mounted wrong to begin with?

I had to do the same thing on my Cuda. According to the pics in the service manual it was supposed to go one way but when I put it that way it hit the switch. I turned it around and it worked fine.

-
Back