Trans cooler as oil cooler?

-

player1up

Reaction score
I've got a 4-speed slant that will be getting a turbo soon and was wondering if there would be any benefit from running the oil lines through the trans cooler in the bottom of the radiator?
The radiator will be new so no trans fluid in the cooler and I'm not running an auto but just wondering if it will be worth it.

Only if you fabricate hard lines just like the trans used.
Never trust rubber hoses and screw clamps in lubrication.

If you're thinking of running the turbo oil return line through the rad cooler I'd say no. The tubing in the rad cooler is probably only 5/16" and will be restrictive as the turbo return should be larger and you don't want to back the return oil up into the turbo bearings. They won't last long doing that. Either way you want the shortest possible run for the return oil back to the pan.

I wouldn't think of running it on the drain side...backup oil into the turbo and bad things happen...
The return line will be / is 1/2 and the feed line is something like 5/16
Ok, so to clarify, it'd be for the oil feed line to the turbo. I was just curious if there would be any benefit, kinda thinking out loud..

I wouldn't think of running it on the drain side...backup oil into the turbo and bad things happen...
The return line will be / is 1/2 and the feed line is something like 5/16
Ok, so to clarify, it'd be for the oil feed line to the turbo. I was just curious if there would be any benefit, kinda thinking out loud..

Bad Idea. Most Turbo applications use a restrictor as to not SOAK/Drench the seals in oil. If you want to run an oil cooler that is fine. Just don't use it to feed the turbo is all.

Here is my build...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=116512

only thing about running it in rad is what does your car run... 160-210 for temp. might make oil hotter. I have a oil cooler and temp gauge on a sbc in a vega and it oil runs like 130-150

-
Back