Trans cooler questions...

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a Moroso heat sink-type trans cooler and was thinking of using it rather than a traditional cooler.

Questions are: Has anyone ran a heat sink type of cooler?

Has anyone been successful mounting it (or any cooler) under the car somewhere? I'd really like to not have it up front for clutter reasons and was also thinking about the heat transfer running lines near the hot headers and motor.

Discuss...

I mounted my heat sink, fin/cylinder cooler on the inside of my frame ties. Kept it near the trans, and ran braided line to it. But my car see's more 1/4 mile runs that anything. happy with it so far after 5 years of use.

pretty much just like this one only mine is shorter and wider.

Attachments

• DSC_0044-2.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 260
..what are your build specs...do you need an external cooler?
a small 5" x 12" is usually plenty.
You want your trans fluid 180 - 190 degrees to be efficient.

I mounted my heat sink cooler under the spare tire well, I think it looks good there too.

A lot depends on what the main use of your car is for. If it's going to see more drag strip/local cruising then what others have suggested is OK. However, if your going to be on the highways, think like the OEM market does when they add an additional cooler. Out front, in the air flow. Mounted anywhere else the coolers do not work as they are really intended. As to the type of cooler that's your call. The most effective cooler is the one manufactured by a company called LONG. They are sold under a variety of names by re-packers like B & M for example.

A stacked plate style is the most efficient.

I use a derale.

Thanks guys! Yea, with this being a primarily street car I think I'll stick to the traditional cooler/mounting location.

-
Back