trans crossmember removal?

-
and if you take the bolt out of the transmission that goes into or thru the crossmember

It is easiest to unbolt the transmission mount from the tail shaft rather than just the bolt that comes out the bottom of the crossmember! The mount is pretty tight inside the crossmember, and most times,'if the factory guy did his job, the tab to hold it in is bent over making it near impossible for it to just slide out the crossmember and remain on the trans! The crossmember is drilled to remove the 2 bolts holding the mount to the trans, and I think the head size is either 5/8" or 11/16"!!

Hope this helps, Geof

You may have to pry it out. Being that it is a slightly wider part than the subframe it bolts to, a little squeeze is possible with the tightening of the part when it went in. Then there dirt rust and sand and etc.... That gums up the easy work.

There's the 2 bolts in the trans tail shaft and 4 bolts that hold the steel cross member in the subframe. That should be it!

The crossmember is drilled to remove the 2 bolts holding the mount to the trans, and I think the head size is either 5/8" or 11/16"!!

Hope this helps, Geof

I wanna say 9/16" or 5/8" bolts....

Forgot to mention that there is no engine or trans in the rig. Trying to put a new trans mount in, but can't get to that tab, to remove the mount. Just thought that it would be easier if I took the crossmember off.

-
Back