Trans doesn't go in gear. Now what?! Please Help

-
Hang in there, you'll get it figured out.

Well, I think I'm making progress...

I disconnected the transmission fluid output line at the radiator and fired it up in neutral. Fluid came out a little. It was kinda frothy with quite a bit of air in it and came out in spurts. When I put it in drive, it became a solid stream of fluid and the car moved forward a little. I shut it off right away and reconnected the line. I then restarted the car. This time, I dropped it into gear and nothing. I'm thinking the trans fluid is low now though since I dropped about a quart in the drain pan doing the test. I had to stop for the night, but when I get home today, I'll refill the trans and give it another go.

Hum... Good to hear it tried to go forward. When I worked for Hyster I ran into issues on forklift hydraulic systems getting air locked causing a problem like yours but never a torqueflite, but I guess anything's possible.

Have you tested it with the rear wheels off the ground to see if it'll go through the gears that way? When I worked on a Hyster with a air lock issue most of the time if you jacked the drive wheels up and ran it in gear for a few minutes the air would work out of the system.

A/J have you ever seen a TF air lock?

-
Back