trans fluid

-

dla4567

Reaction score
I have a rebuilt small block 727 (dry), about how much fluid does it take to fill? And any suggestions on fluid type?

probly about 11 to 12 quarts and if it were mine id run type f in it.

I've always used Type 'F' in my cars' T-Flites .

+4 (plus 4) trans fluid is , in my opinion , overkill in the old 3-speed auto's .

Yup +4 is overkill for an old school 3 speed. And you know while you are at it radial tires are overkill for a suspension that was designed in 1960. Might as well keep your 4 wheel drum brakes while you are at it since they worked okay on grandpa's 56 buick.

Use +4 it is better in every single imaginable way except for price.

i asked this question long ago when filling mine after a rebuild and got everything from 7-14 quarts. and i ended up over filling it. here's the correct answer i wish i would have got early on.

Automatic Transmission, A727(36RH) Initial Fill..........4.1 quarts
Automatic Transmission, A904(30RH) Initial Fill..........4.1 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
3 speed A904(30RH)..........8.6 quarts
3 speed W/O lockup A727(36RH)..........8.6 quarts
3 speed W/ lockup A727(36RH)..........8.4 quarts

maybe a little more for larger trans lines and a large trans cooler.
i have a huge trans cooler, but only an 8 inch coverter, so i'm still about 8-9 quarts. anyone that tells you to put 14 in this thing should help you clean it up off the floor when it comes out the vent tube.

i asked this question long ago when filling mine after a rebuild and got everything from 7-14 quarts. and i ended up over filling it. here's the correct answer i wish i would have got early on.

Automatic Transmission, A727(36RH) Initial Fill..........4.1 quarts
Automatic Transmission, A904(30RH) Initial Fill..........4.1 quarts
Automatic Transmission, Total Fill
3 speed A904(30RH)..........8.6 quarts
3 speed W/O lockup A727(36RH)..........8.6 quarts
3 speed W/ lockup A727(36RH)..........8.4 quarts

maybe a little more for larger trans lines and a large trans cooler.
i have a huge trans cooler, but only an 8 inch coverter, so i'm still about 8-9 quarts. anyone that tells you to put 14 in this thing should help you clean it up off the floor when it comes out the vent tube.
Clean up, Aisle 12....

Use type 4 if you prefer to piss money away uselessly & like softer shifts. Type F is the way to go for a pefromance use trans. Type 4 ATFs have friction modifiers in them to soften shifts. Type F is recommended by most shift kit manufacturers & is much less expensive. People think because it say Mopar type 4 on the bottle it must contain some magic ingredient & since it's newer that it must be better. Truth is it's intended for a different type of performance characteristic not conducive to muscle cars of the 60s & 70s. It won't hurt a trans by using ATF-4, but you won't gain performance by it either. Acutally the opposite.

Wonder why Turbo Action wants Dextron 3? And said, yeah, you can use F, but it won't help. This from me, who used F forever. Forte said" clutches better than "back in the day".

Dexron III is more readily available. Type F is not on the shelves like it used to be since it's been a while since it was the specified fluid in Fords. Dex III is just a newer version of the old Dexron II. Not much difference between 2&3. Type F has a modifier in it to reduce slippage & more importantly didn't have the additives to cushion the shifts found in dexron. I always thought we got better firmer shifts with the type F after changing out the dexron along with lower temps on the trans gauge. But it may have been more phsycological than anything. Used the blue stuff on a few occasions but never felt a lick of the difference over the F.

-
Back