Trans line ideas

-
A good amount of ideas here, but if I was on a budget (what am I talking about, I am)
I would use a left over AC condenser for my cooler, since they already have the barbed ends on them from the crimped hose fittings.
A trans tech would tell you that changing the fluid temp will change how the fluid flows and therefor WILL change how a stall modified converter will work.
Hotter fluid will make the converter hook up later in RPM's, and cooler fluid will make it hook up sooner.
A converter is just one fan driven by the engine blowing fluid at another fan making it turn and drive the trans via the input shaft of the trans.
However, one can adjust the trans temp by simply covering part of the cooler so it cant get air to the entire surface, but a trans temp guage would be mandatory to be able to adjust that temp as you wanted to.

Now, if you have a stock converter and you run the trans cooler and the trans gets cooled more than it used to you will have later and more firm shift due to the thicker fluid, but also the added benifit of better lubrication due to the thicker fluid.

Make sence?

A good amount of ideas here, but if I was on a budget (what am I talking about, I am)
I would use a left over AC condenser for my cooler, since they already have the barbed ends on them from the crimped hose fittings.
A trans tech would tell you that changing the fluid temp will change how the fluid flows and therefor WILL change how a stall modified converter will work.
Hotter fluid will make the converter hook up later in RPM's, and cooler fluid will make it hook up sooner.
A converter is just one fan driven by the engine blowing fluid at another fan making it turn and drive the trans via the input shaft of the trans.
However, one can adjust the trans temp by simply covering part of the cooler so it cant get air to the entire surface, but a trans temp guage would be mandatory to be able to adjust that temp as you wanted to.

Now, if you have a stock converter and you run the trans cooler and the trans gets cooled more than it used to you will have later and more firm shift due to the thicker fluid, but also the added benifit of better lubrication due to the thicker fluid.

Make sence?
No

Can I ask why?
Should I just have said use an AC condenser which is a cooler that has barbed in and out on it?

Both the trans guys I used to work/with for always said to not run a trans cooler trough the radiator. I've always bypassed it, then again I live in Houston and there is slight to no chance that my trans will ever operate "too
cool".

Both the trans guys I used to work/with for always said to not run a trans cooler trough the radiator. I've always bypassed it, then again I live in Houston and there is slight to no chance that my trans will ever operate "too
cool".

That's true about not running through the trans cooler AND the radiator cooler.
If you have a trans cooler anyway then why risk a radiator cooler leaking coolant into the trans and destroying your clutch packs.
(And it will, fast)
Antifreeze disolves the adhesive that holds the friction material to the clutch plates.

I live in Arizona so I get where you're coming from on the heat thing.

But I was under the impression we were talking about a budget trans cooler hopefully using what he has.

Sorry, but I'm a pretty much a "stay on track" type person.

so are you guys saying it is safe to use stainless braided line from the tranny to the cooler like tony fields setup? i once asked a couple tranny guys, and including mancini racing, and they said not to use braided stainless for the lines....i dont understand why not? also, what would be wrong with hydraulic hose???

-
Back