Trans problems

-

tiltsix

Reaction score
My beater truck,01 Ram 1500 Quad Cab 2 wheel drivehas about 200k miles on it and trans went out again.The last time it went out it cost me $1800.00,but that was about 100k ago.It does pull and go thru 1,2,3,but when it trys to shift into od it is like going into neutral then I have to come to a complete stop and put it in park for a while then it will do the same thing.It doesent matter if the od switch is on or off.My question is should I attempt my first trans rebuild or suck it up and pay the man?........................................Jeff

if it is a 46RE....it is nothing but a 727 with an over drive...i have done a couple...and I am getting ready next week to do another in a 99 Ram 1500...lock up converter is shuttering...

I bought a deluxe transtar kit from northern autoparts..200 bucks...spent another 100 on new servos...and thrust washer kit...will need a rebuild converter for less then 200...

about 5 yrs ago...i bought a couple of the tools required...another 150 back then for an investment.

There is an excellent video from ATSG

http://store.boxwrench.net/Chrysler-727-TorqueFlite-Transmission-Rebuild-DVD_p_70.html

Well maybe the entire trans doesn't need to be rebuilt, the OD is in reality, "separate." I believe you can pull that off without pulling the transmission

^This. Pull the tail shaft off and get it rebuilt, or if you have a press and some cajones, build it yourself. The ATSG manual; the same guide the pros use; can be found, or I can e-mail it to you no sweat.

Either way add some clutches and steels into it, the overdrive clutches beg for it. 5 or 6 in the place of 3 with nothing more than some effort. Stupid simple cheap mod. I have documentation on how to do this from several sources.

Ask me how I know. Go ahead. Ask me... :glasses7: It's amazing what $50 worth of parts in the right area will do...

Put it back together, drive on... Be sure to use another extension housing gasket!

Well maybe the entire trans doesn't need to be rebuilt, the OD is in reality, "separate." I believe you can pull that off without pulling the transmission

This is correct. It unbolts right off the back of the trans main case. I rebuilt one a few yrs back. Piece of cake if you have a press

-
Back