Transmission Cooler Line Repair or Replacement???

-

Tjhoward84

1969 Barracuda Convertible
Reaction score
What are peoples thoughts about repair or replacement of a transmission cooler lines? Compression fitting or replace complete line?

There are a couple of ways to repair them.

1. Hose & clamps: Good quick fix, not recommended for long term durability. Ok to get you going in a pinch or until you and fix it right...

2. Compression fittings: Better than the rubber hose and clamps, however it is still another potential leak path in the future...

3. New lines: The best fix, less potential leak paths due to no "repairs", and longest lasting...

I like to do things the right way on my cars. Who's @ss is walking when it breaks? So I try to make it so it doesn't break....

Either bend a new one from a striaght line, or order a pre-bent one from the vendors if you want a good long term fix....

My 2 homemade lines were made from 4 pieces joined with compression unions underneath the car. I haven't had a problem with them.

I agree with both answers at the same time sort of.
I wouldn't have a problem one with driving a compression union fix clear across the country without a second thought about it, but new line is always best of course.
Actually there is a ton more unions out there than most people realize.

The steel lines just add extra cooling, and are quite easy to make..

I just made and installed the long one, rear of trans to right side rad, thru headers, from roll stock tube, in about 15 mins,, for member Cannucky's trip to Moparfest..

jmo

compression fitting coupler. remove excess length which would be replaced by the fitting.r
unless you have money to blow I'd repair the line by cutting and splicing in a fitting.

compression fitting coupler. remove excess length which would be replaced by the fitting.r
unless you have money to blow I'd repair the line by cutting and splicing in a fitting.

The comp union only adds about 1/4 inch, so unless you have a crack that needs to be cut out it should be a big deal.
But yes, you do want to make sure there are no stresses on the line caused by the union.

-
Back