Transmission fluid leak

-

nitestocker13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm new to the site and the forum.

I have a 1970 Dodge Dart and I recently saw that their was a red fluid leaking from the transmission area of my car. I'm pretty sure that it is leaking from the transmission (3 speed) and I was wondering if anyone has replaced the gaskets on their transmission. If anyone could give me some pointers (i'm not a mechanic at all) on replacing the gaskets on the tranny. Thanks.

You will need to determine where the fluid is leaking from first. By parking on a level hard and clean surface you can see what area of the transmission, transmission lines or radiator is leaking from. It would also help to clean these areas first with engine shampoo, hose off and let dry first. You can also check to make sure the transmission lines at the radiator and transmission are tight. Also check the speedometer cable is snug also.

if you do all the above and don't find the leak remove the two small 7/16" headed bolts and gently lift out on the cover, if fluid runs out, your transmission needs to come out and change the front pump seal. rare for it to leak there if it has not be messed with, but anything is possible

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'll be working on that this weekend and ill let hall know what I come up with. Any suggestions on the brand of engine cleaner/shampoo?

...........R we talking a 904 tranny.........if so it may have a cracked converter hub.........u will need to have the pump bushing replaced also, if not it will leak again.......kim...

There are lots of places for an auto trans to leak. The torque converter seal as mentioned above, the pan gasket, dip stick tube "O" ring, the extension housing seal, and the shift control shaft seal are the most common. If it leaks just sitting there, it's usually the dip stick tube seal, pan gasket, or the control shaft seal. If it mainly leaks when it's running/moving, it's usually the torque converter seal, cooler lines, or extension seal. Clean off all the oil and grime as best you can and see where the fresh oil is coming from. You'll have to run your finger around some of the areas to see if that is the source of the leak as the fluid will migrate to the lowest point and give you a false idea as to where it started. In other words, if it leaks off the left rear corner of the pan, it doesn't mean the pan gasket is leaking right there. It could be leaking at the dip stick "O"ring on the right front and running along a seam back to the left rear before it drips off onto the ground.

I believe that is the best summary of Mopar auto trans leakage behavior I have ever read! :withstup:

There are lots of places for an auto trans to leak. The torque converter seal as mentioned above, the pan gasket, dip stick tube "O" ring, the extension housing seal, and the shift control shaft seal are the most common. If it leaks just sitting there, it's usually the dip stick tube seal, pan gasket, or the control shaft seal. If it mainly leaks when it's running/moving, it's usually the torque converter seal, cooler lines, or extension seal. Clean off all the oil and grime as best you can and see where the fresh oil is coming from. You'll have to run your finger around some of the areas to see if that is the source of the leak as the fluid will migrate to the lowest point and give you a false idea as to where it started. In other words, if it leaks off the left rear corner of the pan, it doesn't mean the pan gasket is leaking right there. It could be leaking at the dip stick "O"ring on the right front and running along a seam back to the left rear before it drips off onto the ground.
well put i had a 64 ply that if it sat it would go dry but if i drove it nothing btw it was a dd so never bugged me lol

Thanks guys. My 66 cuda is leaking horribly and it used to only have a drip issue. 2 years of sitting while I did interior work must have dried something out.

-
Back