Transmission Gear selector issues

-

Bryan Lohmiller

Reaction score
OK maybe someone on here might have an idea I have a 71 Duster originally had a 6 with 904 it now has a 360 with 727 from an 88 D250 in it. My issue is with the gear selector I'm having issues getting it adjusted right when we adjust it so when it shows the transmission is in revers neutral or drive that's what gear the trans is in but when you put it in park it's still in reverse. When you adjust it so It's in park every thing else in off neutral the trans is in reverse drive the trans is in neutral and D2 the trans is in drive we played with it for a couple hours with no luck.

Column shift, I have to assume.
Duster linkage, I also assume.
D250 trans. selector arm, again assuming.
Given the above, the selector arm on the (truck) transmission is most likely the wrong length to work correctly with the Duster linkage. Use the one off of the old /6 904 if you still have it.
If any of the above assumptions are not true, you will need to give more detailed info about your setup.

Also if column shift- slightly rotating the column (after loosening the bolts under the dash) can help locate the indicator correctly.

Column shift, I have to assume.
Duster linkage, I also assume.
D250 trans. selector arm, again assuming.
Given the above, the selector arm on the (truck) transmission is most likely the wrong length to work correctly with the Duster linkage. Use the one off of the old /6 904 if you still have it.
If any of the above assumptions are not true, you will need to give more detailed info about your setup.
Yes steering column shift not console/floor all linkage is not the truck all the rods are the 904 the torque tube is the 904 I have the 727 for this year but it looked identical to the 904 so didn't go through the work to change it. The control lever on the trans is is for the 727 not the truck none of the truck stuff would work.

Yes steering column shift not console/floor all linkage is not the truck all the rods are the 904 the torque tube is the 904 I have the 727 for this year but it looked identical to the 904 so didn't go through the work to change it. The control lever on the trans is is for the 727 not the truck none of the truck stuff would work.
Screen shot from this FBBO thread:
Your 'Guide' to the 727/904 transmission | For B Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

upload_2021-8-27_11-7-37.png

Note that the effective length (distance between holes) can vary substantially, which will throw off your adjustment as it moves.

Screen shot from this FBBO thread:
Your 'Guide' to the 727/904 transmission | For B Bodies Only Classic Mopar Forum

View attachment 1715787390

Note that the effective length (distance between holes) can vary substantially, which will throw off your adjustment as it moves.
Ya the bottom one went with the 904 trans and engine to a good home the top one is the part I bought from Mancini Racing [1967-75 727 Valve Body Gearshift Control Lever] for my year vehicle and trans

The linkage is designed to work as a system. If the longer (lower) arm is what you had with the linkage you're using, then it's what you need to make it work correctly. I don't have a parts book for your year, but I'm willing to bet the 904s had different part number linkages than the 727s. Use the 904 lever, and I bet your problem goes away. As a last resort you could modify your arm (shorten or lengthen) to get the throw you need.
The issue is from mixing and matching parts... it can cause lots of different problems. But you're not the first:
Duster shift linkage | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum

The linkage is designed to work as a system. If the longer (lower) arm is what you had with the linkage you're using, then it's what you need to make it work correctly. I don't have a parts book for your year, but I'm willing to bet the 904s had different part number linkages than the 727s. Use the 904 lever, and I bet your problem goes away. As a last resort you could modify your arm (shorten or lengthen) to get the throw you need.
The issue is from mixing and matching parts... it can cause lots of different problems. But you're not the first:
Duster shift linkage | For A Bodies Only Mopar Forum
Guess I'll see f I can get ahold of a 904 shift linkage and measure the difference in there lengths. As far as the torque shaft goes the one I bought for a 71 A body 727 looked identical to the 904 one I'm using and it measured the same length all the way around.

I was told at one time that the 904 and 727 torque tubes were different. I actually pulled a 727 torque tube years ago from a 340 Demon column shift and it’s in my stash of parts along with the transmission.

I was told at one time that the 904 and 727 torque tubes were different. I actually pulled a 727 torque tube years ago from a 340 Demon column shift and it’s in my stash of parts along with the transmission.
you wouldn't by chance have a 904 shift lever would you?

OK maybe someone on here might have an idea I have a 71 Duster originally had a 6 with 904 it now has a 360 with 727 from an 88 D250 in it. My issue is with the gear selector I'm having issues getting it adjusted right when we adjust it so when it shows the transmission is in revers neutral or drive that's what gear the trans is in but when you put it in park it's still in reverse. When you adjust it so It's in park every thing else in off neutral the trans is in reverse drive the trans is in neutral and D2 the trans is in drive we played with it for a couple hours with no luck.
Doing the same swap in my 67 barracuda. Ordered the correct linkage from year one for $127.

-
Back