transmission interchangability ??s

-

JoseyWales

Reaction score
I am wondering if the tail sections and output shafts of early and later 904s are interchangable? I am rebuilding my 65 904 and would like to switch to a slipyoke. I was thinking that if they were, that would be a good way to do it, since it will be out of the car anyway. Then I could just use a later model drive shaft, instead of cutting my existing ball and trunion shaft and adding a slip yoke to it. Thanks in advance for any ideas or info on this matter.

These are not directly interchangable. The problem is that the park mechanism for the 65 and earlier cable operated trans is in the tailshaft, so changing to a later style tailshaft will yield you no park. I had a big block push button trans from a 64 Newport and found a 65 trans from a small block car in the junkyard which had the slip yoke and cable operation, so my trans guy simply switched the 2 tailshafts and voila!! slip joint yoke on a big block pushbutton trans. You will need to find a 65 trans with the slip yoke and push button operation to use, which at first I thought all 65 transmissions had, but apparently it was a mid-year switch. Good luck finding what you need, I know they are out there but they are elusive. Geof

This is for a slant six, anyone have a later 65 model 904 with slipyoke that they dont need? Or maybe just the parts?
Thanks

They will not interchange unless you use the entire main shaft from the core. You might as well stick a '65 in it. I have one in my car, runs well, I think might have a shift kit. I'm replacing it with a V8 next year.

Sounds like it may be easier to add a slip joint to the driveshaft. I was hoping that I could just swap the output shaft from a newer model, since I have one.

-
Back