Transmission Mount Removal

-

jonn6464

1970 Duster
Reaction score
What is the key to removing the rubber/poly trans mount out of the crossmember?
There's a thick tab bent over to retain the mount, do I just use brute force on that? Seems like fairly thick steel to be bending out and then bending back.
Any tips? Thanks

Picture? There are different types. Does it mount with three bolts, a small nut on the bottom and two 3/8" in the tail shaft?

Picture? There are different types. Does it mount with three bolts, a small nut on the bottom and two 3/8" in the tail shaft?

Gotta wait till I get paid to become a gold member so i can post pics.
The cross member says MK-49 3 on it. It houses the rubber mount, and yes the mount has 2 holes on top and a stud coming out of the bottom of the cross member.
I'm not sure if that makes it any clearer, without pic.

To remove this type of mount, remove the small nut on the bottom. Support the tranny to relieve some pressure from the crossmember. Remove the four through bolts from the crossmember and drop it. Sometimes the mount fits tightly in the crossmember so it may need a little "persuasion". When crossmember is out, you can remove the two bolts securing it to the tranny. If you have the new mount ready, you can do this in about 30 minutes. This is a common mount.

To remove this type of mount, remove the small nut on the bottom. Support the tranny to relieve some pressure from the crossmember. Remove the four through bolts from the crossmember and drop it. Sometimes the mount fits tightly in the crossmember so it may need a little "persuasion". When crossmember is out, you can remove the two bolts securing it to the tranny. If you have the new mount ready, you can do this in about 30 minutes. This is a common mount.

Sorry, I should have clarified that the crossmember is out of the car sitting on a work bench. The mount is still in it. I've been trying to "persusade" it and have made some headway, but there is a piece of metal that is bent over the mount just a bit. Like a little tab. That part is not giving an inch, which is what is keeping the mount secured in the crossmember.

Which type are you working on?

transmountdrawing100103134.jpg

Those tabs are there to prevent the mount from rotating . If you bend or remove one of them you should be able to remove the rubber . Shouldn't be toooo hard , lol .

Gotta wait till I get paid to become a gold member so i can post pics.
The cross member says MK-49 3 on it. It houses the rubber mount, and yes the mount has 2 holes on top and a stud coming out of the bottom of the cross member.
I'm not sure if that makes it any clearer, without pic.
You dont need a Gold membership to post photos in the forums only PM's.

Open the photo and right click COPY then browse to this page and right click PASTE then hit the "Post Reply" button below

Boys, this thing has got me fuming. I took a look at the replacement mount. There are 2 steel "L" type plates that go around the outside of the rubber. It is one of these plates that is under the bent tab I was talking about. And it ain't coming out. My only thought is to grab a cut off wheel and remove the tab. That should allow the rubber mount to freely come out. I would hate to go against the factory design. I'm sure it's there for a reason. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks again.

If I recall on these mounts, the Rubber is molded onto the steel.

My suggestion is to just go buy a complete new mount,they aren't hard to find and a bunch of different outfits sell them.

Here's just one for starters:

Transmission Mounts

View attachment 1715461469

I'm holding a brand new mount in my hand. I can't get the old mount out of the crossmember.

I'm not trying to separate the rubber from the steel that it's molded onto. The issue is the bent tab is preventing me from removing the entire mount.

Not a tab attached to the rubber mount. There is a tab on the crossmember that is holding the rubber mount into the crossmember.

I vaugely remember that tab when I swapped to a poly trans mount.
If I remember correctly, I hammered a chisel in to hold it out of the way, then hammered the stud on the mount to beat it out of the cross member. I was frustrated for a bit by it too, but overcame it with brute force and a big *** chisel.

I know I didn't cut anything, and I'm pretty sure the poly mount didn't interface with the tab at all. But the poly mount did raise my output shaft a good amount (helped my header clearance too).

If I remember correctly, I hammered a chisel in to hold it out of the way, then hammered the stud on the mount to beat it out of the cross member. I was frustrated for a bit by it too, but overcame it with brute force and a big *** chisel.

I know I didn't cut anything, and I'm pretty sure the poly mount didn't interface with the tab at all. But the poly mount did raise my output shaft a good amount (helped my header clearance too).

Ok, good tip. I'll try to wedge a chisel in there and see if I can get it to clear the tab.
Thanks

My 72 Duster had that type of mount too. Nothing like any of my B body stuff. I was scratching my head like you. I had a crossmember from a 73 Duster that used the spool type mount so I swapped to that.

Big shout out to Phreakish! Great tip about using a chisel to help with my issue. The mount is out and the crossmember is sandblasted and primered.

Reviving this thread.
According to the factory manual, you bend the tab. I'll be doing it this weekend to clean up the crossmember but wow, it doesn't look like it's going to easily comply considering the gauge steel it is. I guess until I try I won't know.

I don't mind using a big chisel and hammer to get the old one out but I'd rather use more finesse installing the new one so I plan to go at it bending the tab. Any tips or secrets are welcome.

IMG_0064.jpg
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0056.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG

How was that tab to bend? It looks like you got it cleanly across. I'm thinking Vise Grips or Channellocks.

U know, I really can’t remember cause it was for a project back in the 80s. I ended up using a spool mount crossmember. Kim

Reviving this from a year ago maybe it can help someone. I finally got around to moving ahead with my transmission and engine. As they say, life is what happens when you’re making other plans.

That tab holding the mount in is very heavy gauge and also very stout. I couldn’t bend it. The mount blocks any way to get to it. I tried the chisel and hammer and just began to cut into it.

I like looked it over, my son looked it over and simply had no way to bend it up with the mount in place. I could tell that there are three metal pieces held together with rubber. Two on either side of the mount and down inside the crossmember. One has a stud protruding through the crossmember and the other is the one being held by the tan. The third piece is the “tee” that sticks out the top.

my solution was to clamp the tee in my vice. My son and I rocked and twisted the crossmember up and down and back and forth until the mount tore in half. It was actually pretty easy. Took about five minutes. I was able to pull out the Tee with the lower metal piece containing the stud. The piece held in by the tan fell out then. I was now able to easily bend the tab. I’m using a poly mount and it doesn’t need the tab at all so I’ll just leave it bent up.

2FA84770-3749-46EE-BD27-6B59DF43D5AA.jpeg

5C2CFD90-BA97-4996-8FCC-0608AFE3D17C.jpeg

3BB248D1-F3A0-4C93-8359-1B7CD1B50976.jpeg

9A019C2E-F3AB-4BF9-89B9-DBC8C0BBF8AD.jpeg

8CF64103-423D-4134-A982-0E243ACA8CB7.jpeg

Old thread, but this may help someone in the future. Drive a punch between the tab and mount, it will release the mount from the tab and you can pull the mount out. Took less than two minutes. Once the mount is out you can put the cross member in a vise and bend the tab back to insert the new mount. Hammer or press the tab back into place.

32ACFEBE-2DEF-4F96-B7A7-BF03981385CE.jpeg

CBB92A1A-BC7B-40D9-9C1D-F52BA9474904.jpeg

0CF9A2D3-C9C2-4FAF-A8F4-DD30868F5102.jpeg

-
Back