Transmission question

-

Methuselah

Reaction score
Few months back I had my transmission stop shifting into 2nd & 3rd. The transmission linkage spring and the valve body somehow came off. The shop that replaced that spring for some reason removed my kick down linkage spring from the linkage assembly and carburetor. 3 Months after they did this, my transmission blew a band and lost second gear.

Could that have been caused by them removing the linkage?

If you have a stock transmission and they removed the throttle pressure linkage, then yes damage follows.

I'm not sure from your post if they removed just the spring or the linkage, you kinda mention both.

Few months back I had my transmission stop shifting into 2nd & 3rd. The transmission linkage spring and the valve body somehow came off. The shop that replaced that spring for some reason removed my kick down linkage spring from the linkage assembly and carburetor. 3 Months after they did this, my transmission blew a band and lost second gear.

Could that have been caused by them removing the linkage?

The purpose of that linkage is to control shift points and the amount of pressure to apply the clutches and bands. during higher rpm shifts the tranny needs more pressure to not allow the bands and clutches to slip. Without the linkage connected, the pressure is low to the servos at high rpm and then you have too much slippage causing the clutches and bands to burn out.

Yep, if they removed your kickdown linkage.....#1 they don't understand what they are doing and #2 they are directly responsible for the failure of your transmission.

The kickdown, as was mentioned above, controls pump (hydraulic) pressure in the transmission, increasing it with the power setting (throttle position) of the engine. Without it a torqueflite will work, but only for a short time until the clutches and bands burn up due to insufficient clamping (hydraulic) pressure and therefore slippage.

-
Back