Transmission shield or tunnel cover

-

Duster Drag Car

Reaction score
anyone know at what et i will need a transmission shield or tunnel cover went to the track for a test and tune last fall and failed safty tech due to outdated belts ,fuel line was on the inside of frame rail, fuel cell needed a sheet metal box around the bottom, belts needed to be secure to roll bar , a window net metal valve stems on the slicks all of which i have corrected. Towed car for over 2 hours 100.00 of fuel in tow vehicle rented uhaul trailer $60.00,fifty bucks worth of cam 2 tolls etc. All to turn around and go home due to john the tech guy also know as toiilet that coming from him.before i attemp the track again want nhra to be happy i have a lot of time, money and back breaking work into this, after failing tech i said to myself fts put insurance on the thing and got a temp plate even though the car isnt street legal at all did some street testing found the car to be a true animal but handled like **** so im changing the manual steering gear due to a lot of play and skinny radials to a bias ply drag tire and a alignment hope this helps anyways the car is fast how fast is be determined so before i go back to track want all safty **** right, guess i should buy the nhra rule book couldnt find a answer on line about the transmission tunnel anyone know at what et i will need one?

if it's a 727 put one on it now. a blanket or the csi carbon shield are good ones. i don't know want type of fuel line you have but where it goes by the bellhousing area put it in steel pipe or use ss hose. the rule books are on line. the tech guy sounds like a real dh who doesn't know the book too good.

safety guy did his job.i gotta disagree with you bob.used to run at navasota and tech was a joke. I like to know i,m not lined up beside a piece of junk thats gonna take me out.every run there was a gamble.good tech makes everyone safer. This should help. http://mustangpartstech.com/general_information/nhrasafetyrequirements.html
thanks 10.00-10.99 i should be in there guess i need one, you know of a ready made one thats easy to install from the inside of car over the tunnel.your right want to know the car next to you is safe even a t a test and tune ive only about a dozen passes with different street cars i had and tech was easy street night requires battery tie down overflow tank and belts.the faster you go it costs you more dough.

if it's a 727 put one on it now. A blanket or the csi carbon shield are good ones. I don't know want type of fuel line you have but where it goes by the bellhousing area put it in steel pipe or use ss hose. The rule books are on line. The tech guy sounds like a real dh who doesn't know the book too good.
yes bob he was dh i figure he was just covering his own *** and had never seen the car before and thought it might be faster than i told him . He asked me how fast i thought it would run and i told him 12s and being my first day out that maybe true i just thought he could of cut me a break after the long ride and said fix the issues before you come back the car had been run for years somewhere, its been a drag for a long time, guy i got it from didnt have much history. Rules get tougher every year. Just sucked because there were not a real lot of cars there that day and i could have gotten in a lot of passes and some seat time as most test and tune are mixed with other classes and your lucky to get 2 passes i knew the next day was muscle polouza and most guys would show up for that anyways thanks for your input gonna research a pre made tunnel cover.

Of the 3 CSI shields I have on my cars.
Only the 68 Dart Post didn't have to have the hammer apply'd generously.
That's Because we lowered the engine 2".
The 67 Dart And the 73 Duster needed the hammer.

guess ill have to fab one im thinking diamond plate and box in the area above the tranny somehow leaving room for the shifter this is my hobby im not a full race car builder or mechanic i do all i can to keep the labor costs down my work seems to do the job and is strong and reiable maybe not as pretty as the high end stuff and i dont care its the driving experience i love not posing my car as a meusem piece.

the trans shield..blanket or whatever you use has to have a SFI sticker on...diamond plate and box does not...sorry but those are the rules..

also...no rubber valve stems are allowed...must be metal...

belts are only good for two years....if you have a roll bar..the shoulder straps need to be attached to it....easy to just use the belt hardware and wrap them around the cross brace..

fuel line...can be easily routed on the outside of the frame rails..

a front end alignment does help.......alot of people use skinny radials in the front with the drag slicks in the back....but if you steering box has alot of slop in it...well...

the trans shield..blanket or whatever you use has to have a SFI sticker on...diamond plate and box does not...sorry but those are the rules..

also...no rubber valve stems are allowed...must be metal...

belts are only good for two years....if you have a roll bar..the shoulder straps need to be attached to it....easy to just use the belt hardware and wrap them around the cross brace..

fuel line...can be easily routed on the outside of the frame rails..

a front end alignment does help.......alot of people use skinny radials in the front with the drag slicks in the back....but if you steering box has alot of slop in it...well...
belts have been updated good to the end of 2014 bought new tubes with metal valve stems even though old ones had metal inside the rubber, belt harness are mounted to a plate welded to bar
they dont slide back and forth ,fuel line has been relocated to outside of frame rail and i boxed in the bottom of the plastic fuel cell those issues are all fixed the tech didnt even mention the trans tunnel but i want to have one just incase so where can i get one with a sfi sticker i also installed a window net and a dipstick tube lock,

thanks i looked before and it didnt show up in the search can it be installed with the tranny in the car also would a blanket be good enough for tech summit has one for 115 bucks seems like an easy fix ill sleep better tonight. a blanket will also contain the parts if my 727 ever lets go thanks again.

If you have a 440/727 in the Duster...I am not going to say it is impossible to install it with the trans in the car...but there are mounting tabs or bosses that need to cut off the trans for the CSR shield to fit...

I have two of them installed in A bodies..but I have 360/904 in them.

[ame]http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/csi-836%282%291.pdf[/ame]

Anything faster than 10.99 will need all SFI approved.Harmonic balancer(dampner),flex plate,trans shield,seat belt harness,helmet,jacket.Lower than 10.00 you,ll need to have the chassis certified.Probably a couple other things I,m forgetting.With the CSR Super Transhield you,ll have both flex plate cover and trans cover all in one.I,m waiting on one now to be delivered as I installed a transbrake in my trans.Remember safety is imperative for you and others.Play safe.

If you have a 440/727 in the Duster...I am not going to say it is impossible to install it with the trans in the car...but there are mounting tabs or bosses that need to cut off the trans for the CSR shield to fit...

I have two of them installed in A bodies..but I have 360/904 in them.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/instructions/csi-836(2)1.pdf
thanks i think ill start with a blanket even though it seems like it will make the tranny run hot first i have to get the car in to run 10.99 to 10.00 which will require some seat time think ill try a test and tune as is and if she runs 10.99 0r lower tech will call me out on getting a blanket i think they will let me run her now i made all the changes the tech guy wanted i point blank asked him everything i needed to do to pass tech. the car is light has the hp and gearing but im footbraking and dont have a lot of stall running na maybe shes in the low 11s and i dont need a blanket or shild yet.

I have a 727 shield that is brand new and im not using it as it was to much work for me to do to the tunnel.

thanks i think ill start with a blanket even though it seems like it will make the tranny run hot first i have to get the car in to run 10.99 to 10.00 which will require some seat time think ill try a test and tune as is and if she runs 10.99 0r lower tech will call me out on getting a blanket i think they will let me run her now i made all the changes the tech guy wanted i point blank asked him everything i needed to do to pass tech. the car is light has the hp and gearing but im footbraking and dont have a lot of stall running na maybe shes in the low 11s and i dont need a blanket or shild yet.
With a blanket you will also need a flexplate shield.(SFI).Just sayin..This is why I went with the Super Shield,its all in one piece.Good luck.

You can not install a CSR trans shield with the transmission in the car.
Here are the BAD words I always use when I have to either install or remove the transmission on either of the cars mentioned before.

Now that that's out of my system.
I found that it was easier to use a 1/4 inch 12 point wobbly on the 4 tranny bolts holding the shield and trans together. That being the 4 top most bolts.
At one point I was considering to cut holes for the top 2 bolts because they are so hard to get at when trying install the trans with the engine still in the car.
Now I think it's easier to install the engine trans as a unit.
I still think it would be easier to just to just modify the tunnel like on the race car.

So much for my rant-thanks for letting me vent.
I hate the trans shields in my street cars.

Funny,I just cut out a "door" for access to trans bolts today.With a shield going in my Early-A its gauranteed it,s gonna hit the pinch weld.I feel better already knowing it will be an easy install now.:D

Anything faster than 10.99 will need all SFI approved.Harmonic balancer(dampner),flex plate,trans shield,seat belt harness,helmet,jacket.Lower than 10.00 you,ll need to have the chassis certified.Probably a couple other things I,m forgetting.With the CSR Super Transhield you,ll have both flex plate cover and trans cover all in one.I,m waiting on one now to be delivered as I installed a transbrake in my trans.Remember safety is imperative for you and others.Play safe.
have all the above except for trans shield and blanket, will be getting a blanket

If you modify the firewall you jump into another can of worms with the NHRA.

-
Back