Transmission slipping..

-

fredsmedina

6 Dart 7 MOPAR OR NOCAR
Reaction score
The Tranny on my new 73 satellite slips..Its an automatic TF-904 I believe. going to get under there late and make sure.

but the previous owner fabricated up his own kickdown linkage. could this be the reason that it has trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear?

I've seen the Kickdown cables that lokar sells, and i'd have no problem getting that If I knew that that would fix the problem.

Does it make sense though that if I put a new kickdown on there it should solve the problem?

or what other stuff should i check? again it slips between 2nd and 3rd gear only. once engaged in 3rd gear though, it has no problem at all driving..

thanks..

the kickdown linkage is not really a kickdown linkage...it is a throttle pressure linkage...it tell the valve body to increase the line pressure as more load is on the engine/trans...

if it is not install correctly it will ruin a trans...

an improperly adjusted linkage will cause the 2 -3 shift to be late..or not happen...like you have to take your foot off the gas to get it to shift into 3rd.

an improperly adjusted linkage will cause the 2 -3 shift to be late..or not happen...like you have to take your foot off the gas to get it to shift into 3rd.
sounds like what I have. I'm trying to look in my SM to figure out how to adjust the linkage but cant seem to find anything. at least not yet.

How to setup the factory linkage probably wont help much if you dont have the factory parts. The throttle pressure needs to be setup correctly even if you have to rebuild the trans to cure the problem. Good luck

How to setup the factory linkage probably wont help much if you dont have the factory parts. The throttle pressure needs to be setup correctly even if you have to rebuild the trans to cure the problem. Good luck

alright. well factory linkage was "modified" is what i was told by previous owner. I have another tranny that I can throw in there if I need to. So well see.

If it winds up (slips) between the 2 to 3 shift it could be the throttle pressure linkage isn't adjusted right. You need to lengthen the linkage to apply more pressure to make it shift firmer. I always start by adjusting the linkage so it's pushed all the way back at full throttle. Then test drive it and if it winds up too much before it shifts shorten it up a little at a time until you get it shifting where you like it.

-
Back