Transmissions that swap between body types?

-

Numax

1972 dart swinger
Reaction score
Not looking to get off the A-Body topic here but in the middle of gathering a pile of parts for the winter to do a /6 to 318 swap I've missed a gear. My main question is what tranys, if any, can be pulled from other body types and years? Been searching around for some info but most people only seem to know bits and pieces, any chance we can get a knowledge base going here? Could be a great reference for everyone

All Auto tranny's fit the same in Cars since 1966. 727 are longer than 904/999. A833 are A and F body to A body. A833 B, E, and Truck O/D are same length but shifter location is different from B to E, truck O/D usually has both B and E shifter positions.

Not looking to get off the A-Body topic here but in the middle of gathering a pile of parts for the winter to do a /6 to 318 swap I've missed a gear. My main question is what tranys, if any, can be pulled from other body types and years? Been searching around for some info but most people only seem to know bits and pieces, any chance we can get a knowledge base going here? Could be a great reference for everyone

Your might want to be a bit more specific.

You looking at only autos?

Only original type autos?

Only CHRYSLER product autos?

Sticks? Only traditional 3 or 4 speed?

Or all of the above?

Or swaps and specialty gearboxes?

To add to the first answer, the earlier cars had a flange drive on the rear, 66? and later were slip yoke.

The 66? 65? and earlier were push button shifted

There are differences over the years in slip yoke splines

The converter snout became larger in '68.

On some floor (console) shifters, you need to make sure the automatic has the bracket holes which are cast into the bottoms of the tail housing.

Some heavy trucks and motorhomes are different tail lengths, and some have a bolt on rear drive yoke.

The above is all good.
And, I would recommend any small-block-904 from 73 to 80s. Those years were the most advanced in their valving and guts, and will accept any mods you might imagine.They can be found with two gear ratios, multiple power-handling mods, and even a loc-up converter.

Or all of the above?

To add to the first answer, the earlier cars had a flange drive on the rear, 66? and later were slip yoke.

The 66? 65? and earlier were push button shifted

There are differences over the years in slip yoke splines

The converter snout became larger in '68.

On some floor (console) shifters, you need to make sure the automatic has the bracket holes which are cast into the bottoms of the tail housing.

Some heavy trucks and motorhomes are different tail lengths, and some have a bolt on rear drive yoke.

66 was not push button shifted. 904/ 999 are small spline. 727 is large spline. A833 A body can be small spline from 66-67, as well as some the 75 up A and F body O/D.

66 was not push button shifted. 904/ 999 are small spline. 727 is large spline. A833 A body can be small spline from 66-67, as well as some the 75 up A and F body O/D.

Neither were the 65's

That is what I remembered, but was not sure.

I was thinking of cable. I guess 65 was still cable shifted, but had a slip yoke instead of flange drive, at least B body.

I was thinking of cable. I guess 65 was still cable shifted, but had a slip yoke instead of flange drive, at least B body.

You're correct in that 65's were still dual cable shifted. B Bodies had the slip yoke;A Bodies used the flange ball and trunnion in both 904 and 833

Or all of the above?

Im mainly looking at 4 speeds, something that can take 350hp fairly easily. Honestly anything around $250 - $500(used obviously). Autos are pretty much my last resort, if I remember right it has an a230 auto in it right now. and I'm up for any kind of swap as long as its mopar. Also I know near nothing about gears and ratios but anything that is "streetable" but pulls good will work. Im fine with 70mph top speed as long as I melt tires all the way there haha

You're correct in that 65's were still dual cable shifted. B Bodies had the slip yoke;A Bodies used the flange ball and trunnion in both 904 and 833

Same with C body 727 was cable shifted with a slip yoke tail shaft at least for '65, maybe also in '66. Beware - the early 727 slip yoke has a hole drilled through it that needs to be plugged if it gets used with a newer tranny, the earlier trans has an internal seal on the output shaft that the newer doesn't, and if the hole in the slip yoke is not plugged it will leak fluid straight through the yoke.

Im mainly looking at 4 speeds, something that can take 350hp fairly easily. Honestly anything around $250 - $500(used obviously). Autos are pretty much my last resort, if I remember right it has an a230 auto in it right now. and I'm up for any kind of swap as long as its mopar. Also I know near nothing about gears and ratios but anything that is "streetable" but pulls good will work. Im fine with 70mph top speed as long as I melt tires all the way there haha

Any A833 4 speed or O/D will work then. Easiest is an A or F body for the correct length and shifter location.

Same with C body 727 was cable shifted with a slip yoke tail shaft at least for '65, maybe also in '66. Beware - the early 727 slip yoke has a hole drilled through it that needs to be plugged if it gets used with a newer tranny, the earlier trans has an internal seal on the output shaft that the newer doesn't, and if the hole in the slip yoke is not plugged it will leak fluid straight through the yoke.

Nice tip, thanks

-
Back