Trap/Skeet/Sporting Clays shooters?

-

RustyDusty

Rabid Cross-eyed Opossum!
Reaction score
Just wondering if any of you shoot clays? I go every Wednesday with a friend from work. I love it, it's a great way to clear my mind and relax. It's a great break half way thru the work week! I shoot a Stoger Condor Competition that I cut the stock down myself to have the length of pull correct for myself.

What's your favorite clays sport, and what shotgun do you shoot?

Cheers!
Drake

Stoger+Condor+Competition+OverUnder+-+12+Gauge+Shotgun,+30%E2%80%9D+Ported+Barrel-1b.jpg

Stoger+Condor+Competition+OverUnder+-+12+Gauge+Shotgun,+30%E2%80%9D+Ported+Barrel-1a.jpg

Where have you found 20ga to be cheaper than 12ga? Everywhere I've purchased ammo from 12ga is either the same or cheaper than 20ga.

I've been shooting trap for over 35 years now. I use my 870 Wingmaster TB I bought new around 1980 or so, before that it was an old Mossberg. I love it. Had the stock cut right out of the gate, I'm only 5'3". I've always loaded my own. I like trap, winks and buddy shoots, and I LOVE shooting doubles. Doubles with a pump is a kick in the ***. I've never had the opportunity to shoot Sporting Clays.

Russ.

I bought a Ruger Red Label 20 ga. last year with the intention of shooting clays, but haven't even fired it yet. I used to hunt with an ancient Stevens Browning 16 ga. pump that was passed down to me from my uncle, but haven't fired a shotgun in over 40 years. If I ever get my new house built, I might make it to the range.

I looked into reloading shells, it seems to be more money than the shells I purchase. How much per shell do you pay when you reload? Roughly how many times can you reuse the hulls?

Rusty, I couldn't tell you how much it costs compared to store-bought. My dad and I figured it out once a long time ago, and reloading was cheaper back then. But take into consideration that I have more than one load I use. I have four different loads I shoot, depending on what I'm shooting (16 yard, 27yard, buddy shoot second shot or wink, etc.). Besides, reloading is fun by itself. As far as how many times you can reload a hull, it depends on which brand, and how hot you're loading them. Reloading now is a habit, and buying a box of shells just goes against the grain for me.

Trapster, I'd love to try Sporting Clays, but now there is only one trap range around here and I don't think (???) they have it. The other range I used to always go to got shut down. Inland Fish and Game opened in 1945, but some A-hole did a lawsuit and got them shut down.

Russ.

Edit: The Ruger Red Label is suppose to be a bitchen gun. 20 gauge would great for shooting skeet.

well living in California I am surprised they let you shoot at all.

http://www.trapshooters.com/rlcalcadv.htm

As for reloading costs, I believe I can load a $10 box of shells for $5 although I haven't done the math lately. You definitely need to have a source for supplies other than store bought. Like your local shooting range.

as for guns I love remington's I have a 20ga 58 with chokes, it is basically an 870 gas operated automatic. but I also shoot a browning cynergy featherweight 5.5 pound overunder

I enjoy sporting clays, more like hunting but i shoot skeet trap and 5 stand as well. I use the SKB 605 series. Next time your in Indy.......i invite you to an afternoon of clays at the local club!

My family will shoot some skeet when we get together at least once a year. I brake out Grandpas 12GA pump and his 12 and 20GA semi auto. The 20GA semi auto is my fav. Love that gun and I keep it around for squirrels and what not. I also will brake out my Mini14 and shoot it some.

Old skeet shooter here
First skeet gun to last.
Browning a5 skeet 12 ga
Remington 1100 skeet.
Winchester Model 12 skeet 12 ga
Winchester Model 101 skeet
Remington Model 10 (look that baby up)
I am sure I have missed some. The best shooting gun was 101 but it was so nice I didn't like shooting it. None of them were bad guns. None of them broke.
The gun club I was in bought supplies ever 4 months( the club had a ffl) All was sold at cost plus shipping.
I stopped due to divorce. I cannot shoot now due to health. I still have a Model 12 and I am always looking for a Remington model 32 skeet/skeet.

Yes they are, and they are all single trigger, the four barrel set has a kreighoff trigger in it.
the only double trigger one I have is a 3 digit serial numbered field grade with a solid rib.

If I ever decide I have too many I will keep you in mind.

Line loads I buy from wallyworld (can't load em that cheap) shoot off loads I hand load with #6 at about 1250 fps. I use a 1300 Winchester with a recoil reducer and adjustable butt plate screw in choke. My brothers use Browning BT 99 and Remington 870TB. Great stress reliever.:toothy8:

Yes they are, and they are all single trigger, the four barrel set has a kreighoff trigger in it.
the only double trigger one I have is a 3 digit serial numbered field grade with a solid rib.

If I ever decide I have too many I will keep you in mind.
Thank you

Started shooting trap when I was 9. Used my Dads old 870 full choke. First time out, I couldn't lift my arms afterward.

Joined a league, and shot the Golden Horseshoe route for many many years. I still have my old Lyman loader, and a really good Lyman formula book from about 1960. Wish I had time to get back into it.

-
Back